Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Losing Speed While Turning....

Here is an issue that I have yet to figure out. The ford dealers have no clue and any shop that the car has been to has them scratching theirs heads. Ford says that they have not heard of this issue before and does not know what it could be. i am reaching out to my fellow Taurus owners to see if any of you have come across this before.

Parts already replaced: power steering pump, ps pump pulley, brakes, rotors, calipers, stabilizer links, ball joints, tires, both transmission sensors, at least the ones you can replace with out dropping the ax4n. One of the power steering lines was broke and it was replaced with high pressure line and does not leak. The tie rod ends should be fine, as the alignment is spot on. The CV joints look to have been replaced a few years back, per old owner. I am not positive.

The Issue:
When I am turning the car will lose its momentum and nearly come to a complete stop. As I straighten out the wheel, you can feel the power being restored to the drive train and the car regains its speed. When the power is restored you can feel a pretty big clunk, or jerk. If I do not turn the wheel to straighten it out, the car will nearly stop in its tracks. It is worst when you are going slow, i.e. 1st to second gear shift, in overdrive. If it is in drive it still happens, but is less noticeable. When I am driving on the highway in drive, which sucks more gas, the car vibrates a little bit. If I am driving in overdrive, you notice the vibrations a lot, and they shake the entire car, steering wheel and all. The tires are new and just balanced and rechecked. I am concerned because the vibrating seems to be worse in the overdrive gear. I am not new to mechanics but I am out of ideas. Nearly the entire front end with the exception of the struts/shocks is new. Any ideas? I appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
When was the last time a trans service was performed(filter and fluid)? Also if it was done recently, do you know if they put the Ford recommended Mercon V fluid in it? Vibrating sounds like the torque converter. I should hope that the mechanic did ask you about this being this is the first thing I would do.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Here is an issue that I have yet to figure out. The ford dealers have no clue and any shop that the car has been to has them scratching theirs heads. Ford says that they have not heard of this issue before and does not know what it could be. i am reaching out to my fellow Taurus owners to see if any of you have come across this before.

Parts already replaced: power steering pump, ps pump pulley, brakes, rotors, calipers, stabilizer links, ball joints, tires, both transmission sensors, at least the ones you can replace with out dropping the ax4n. One of the power steering lines was broke and it was replaced with high pressure line and does not leak. The tie rod ends should be fine, as the alignment is spot on. The CV joints look to have been replaced a few years back, per old owner. I am not positive.

The Issue:
When I am turning the car will lose its momentum and nearly come to a complete stop. As I straighten out the wheel, you can feel the power being restored to the drive train and the car regains its speed. When the power is restored you can feel a pretty big clunk, or jerk. If I do not turn the wheel to straighten it out, the car will nearly stop in its tracks. It is worst when you are going slow, i.e. 1st to second gear shift, in overdrive. If it is in drive it still happens, but is less noticeable. When I am driving on the highway in drive, which sucks more gas, the car vibrates a little bit. If I am driving in overdrive, you notice the vibrations a lot, and they shake the entire car, steering wheel and all. The tires are new and just balanced and rechecked. I am concerned because the vibrating seems to be worse in the overdrive gear. I am not new to mechanics but I am out of ideas. Nearly the entire front end with the exception of the struts/shocks is new. Any ideas? I appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks
My best guess is something to do with the CV shafts, but that's a brain teaser. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trans was last serviced about 60k miles ago. I am not sure what was used, but it did not start doing this until about 6k miles ago. The cv joints and that were supposedly inspected when the ball joints were done. That was my first guess, but I do not want to replace them if I don't have to. They do not click or anything when turning, the noise is only audible between shifts and as it looses power. If I am going in a circle in first gear, no noises. As far as the torque converter goes, isn't that unusual that it would act that way? I had heard that those hardly ever go out....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts