Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good site, I just registered, alot of good info here...
I've got a `95 GL w/ the 3.oU w/ the TB built-into the upper intake. and I want to know if I can use a newer upper intake w/ the removable TB? I think it would be a direct swap from a gen3 intake to the `95 engine, or would i have to replace the upper and lower?

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I do think it should be a bolt-on, as I've seen people do that swap before. One thing to inquire about would be perhaps getting a 2001+ intake on that car. They're plastic and apparently flow reasonably better and don't heat up as fast. Just what I've heard though so I won't say do it, but definitely check it out.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Just remember that if you get a new intake manifold and tb, you need one from the Vulcan (OHV) rather than the Duratec (DOHC). Also, I'm not sure about the sizes of the throttle bodies on the intakes, so you might need to get a custom chip if there's a bigger throttle body on the newer Vulcan....also, make sure the car isn't a FFV.

JR

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Oct 9 2004, 11:48 AM
One thing to inquire about would be perhaps getting a 2001+ intake on that car. They're plastic and apparently flow reasonably better and don't heat up as fast.
I've also wanted to do this swap for a long time. I say go for it, you'll see some pretty decent gains if it is a bolt-on.

G

·
I have been out of it for a few months but I can tell you there are subtle intake differences even among the Vulcan engines that require further checking into. For example the Coolant Temp Sensor is located differently in the later models (post '96 iirc) it definitely is located elsewhere on the '00 and up. A quick perusal at some different ones at a salvage yard will show you what I mean. I used to have some of every Gen for reference but they are all gone now. There are some other subtle changes but I can't recall them at the moment. Anyway these matter and are worthy of looking into before you spend any money and time on a swap that might not work.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Here's something I noticed while I was poking around at the salvage yard... it looks, from a cursory inspection, that the intake sleeve from a early '90's Aerostar is roughly the right size, length and has the requisite bend in it to run almost directly from the MAF on a Gen2 out to the intake port from the air well into the engine compartment. It also looks like it would be nearly perfect to run a 1' piece of 3" aluminum pipe from the end of the exhaust sleeve to a cone filter, mounted low in the air well, and screened over to prevent sucking anything into the engine, or trapping anything against the filter.

The only issue I had, from the admittedly cursory look-over I did, was that the Aerostar's intake sleeve is 3" to begin with and it's a ribbed rubber pipe. On the plus side, as I pointed out, it's approximately the right length, and has a 90degree bend in approximately the right spot to enter the fender air well.

Any comments or other ideas? I was actually trying to find the whole MAF adapter plate, in the hopes of fabbing a piece of aluminum pipe onto that, running that to the air well, then stretching some more pipe down, capping it with a filter cone and screening it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts