Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hmm...I was under the impression that 95 SE Taurai all had 3.8's.

Anywho, as to your question, if indeed there's no intake silencer, then a previous owner removed it, therefore the mod has already been performed. However, have you actually seen pictures of what the intake silencer looks like? It's basically part of the tubing coming from the wheel well. It's just a section of plastic tubing that tapers down to a smaller hole, thus decreasing air flow and consequently lowering the ambient volume of the engine's air intake. I'd post a picture, but I don't have a digital camera. I think that there are pictures in the maintenance modifications section of the website.

The friggin purpose of the hollow box is to house the air intake filter, which you replaced with a K&N, and to allow for proper (albeit quiet and circuitous) airflow through the filter, toward the engine. You can "gut" the airbox by removing/cutting out certain parts, thereby enabling more air to get through the box, but probably the most effective method to use in order to reach this end is by installing a cone filter in the fender well, and running custom fabricated tubing straight to the air flow sensor and throttle body.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.