Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is this located in the same place in a 3rd gen as it is in a 4th gen? Before I consider anything, is this a good thing to do to your car? I mean I won't be compromising anything or putting strain on the car that shouldn't? What is the purpose of an intake silencer anyway? And will it add a nice loud growl to it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, it is located in the same place as a gen3 in a gen4. Taking it off will actually help the car a little by allowing it to breathe a little more. It does give the car a little more aggressive sound after it is removed. Takes like 5 minutes to do.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
If you are running a regular paper air filter you won't hear any difference except at WOT right near the shift point (high rpms.) If you switch to a K&N filter (or equivalent) you will hear a little bit more engine from 2500 or so on up. It is by no means obnoxiously loud. You won't regret tossing the silencer. Frankly, I think if Ford left the silencer out, people would think the Taurus had a little more balls. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that wasn't an easy task like a lot of people said it would be. Had to take the battery out to get to the screws that held the thing in, and unscrew the wires mount just to get the pipe part that was through the frame that was attached to the filter mechanism out. It didn't look like the one in the pic, for the tutorial of the 4th generation. All it was was a long hollow tube thingy(HELLOOOO!! "echo"). I didn't notice too much difference in sound. It looked like an unnecessary part. Maybe in performance.....

·
Registered
486 Posts
I didnt have to do all that to get it out of my gen4. :blink:

Just had to take the whee off. Take off the splash guards and the take out the 2 bolts holding it on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thing I have anorexic wrists!!! :lol2:

·
Registered
411 Posts

tacotac Posted on May 17 2004, 11:47 PM
  Good thing I have anorexic wrists!!!
Ummm... Ahhh...... No Comment!!!! :blink:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You guys all took it out the hard way. I took the wheel and the fender liner out, then used a reciprocal saw to cut it into small pieces. The only problem with this was that I accidentally cut partway through a wiring harness. It ended up that it was only the harness that controls the headlights, so I was lucky. I had to resolder like three wires and wrap four or five other with electrical tape because the insulation jackets were cut.

The removal of the cone does help a little, however, the K&N is what makes the whole package. I added the K&N after I cut out the silencer, and it gives a lot meaner yell at WOT or at about 2000 rpm.

JR

·
Registered
486 Posts
You guys all took it out the hard way. I took the wheel and the fender liner out, then used a reciprocal saw to cut it into small pieces. The only problem with this was that I accidentally cut partway through a wiring harness. It ended up that it was only the harness that controls the headlights, so I was lucky. I had to resolder like three wires and wrap four or five other with electrical tape because the insulation jackets were cut.
:lol: :lol:

Thats classic right there. Sounds like redneck engineering at its finest. lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Like others have said... just two bolts from inside the wheel well and out it came.

The only downside I have seen in taking off the silencer is a more (larger) dirt particles in the airbox - small leaves and pieces of dirt that somehow get in there now. Nothing big and not enough to clog the filter. I just check it at every oil change and clean it out now.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by mth676@May 18 2004, 08:05 AM
:lol: :lol:

Thats classic right there. Sounds like redneck engineering at its finest. lol.
I was just too lazy to do it the right way, and it ended up costing me more time in the long run.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The only thing sophisticated about the Taurus/Sable is the type of repairs you need to do on the trans every 20,000 miles...

Lol...

JR

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You really don't notice the sound much, until you step on the accelerator to gain speed, and WOW!!!! It sounds excellent!! :D :D :D

Oh, what I meant by anorexic wrists. I have thin wrists. The ones that can fit your hand all the way to the bottom of a pringles chips container. They come in handy trying to access the cramped areas inside my car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed just a little sound difference at WOT and a slight power gain as well as throttle response. I never put the K&N in it though, which is pretty good considering I've used K&N before on other vehicles and can just imagine how it would wake it up that much more.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tiffany,

Glad to hear that, I thought I was going to have to do another After School Special. :lol2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
The reason some of you are wondering why it was so hard for her is that the Gen4's have a different design for it. All you have to do is unbolt the thing and pull it out, whereas on a Gen3 you have to get a little more in depth with it (its really just easier to cut the bloody thing out!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts