Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Intake Silencer

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ffvulcanpowah 
#1 ·
I have been reading alot of topics on here about removing the intake silencer. I have a 03 taurus and just wondering what is involved in removing it? Is it worth the time and effort to remove it? What are the pros and cons of this mod?

Thanks whoever replys. :ford:

#4 ·
on mine i left the tube going into the fender but removed the silencer itself. on my friends gen3 vulcan i took the hole thing out then cut off the silencer and put the tube into the fender back in

to remove it at least for my car was simple. remove inner fender well plastic (drivers side) then you can see what looks like a box i think if i remember correctly there are one or two bolts you need to remove and it will come right out

#7 ·
Thanks I will take a look at it when i get home. Was wondering how hard it would be to route a CAI (cold air intake) in a 03 Taurus SES, I have not found any kits made for it yet. Has it been done?

#8 ·
Thanks I will take a look at it when i get home. Was wondering how hard it would be to route a CAI (cold air intake) in a 03 Taurus SES, I have not found any kits made for it yet. Has it been done?
[/b]
The stock intake is a CAI. That's one of the reasons why there is no aftermarket one made.

#10 ·
I just removed my intake silencer off of my 03 Taurus (Duratec) and to tell you the truth, I didn't really even hear much of a sound difference. I'd say its up to you, it doesn't do anything to enhance or hinder your performance, and if you do decide to take it off, the difference in sound is slight. But its still a cool mod to do. :thumb:

As for removal on a Gen 4, its pretty easy. Watch the video (as stated above)

#12 ·
Warm air or cold air does it matter? My car seems to do better in colder weather.
[/b]
Warm is bad. Cold air is denser, which means it contains more oxygen per unit volume. That means that your car can add more fuel, creating more power. The colder the air, the more power you get from the combustion.

#14 ·
I see no reason why not. That sounds like a pretty good idea, too. Go for it! :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.