Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know pros an cons of removing the intake silencer. I read somewhere that the gen 4.5's didnt have one is this true? will i notice any difference in anything? I have vulcan/ax4n combo

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
You might notice a bit more noise under the hood and maybe .1 HP gains.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow quick reply, thanks. But are there any cons to it? also what do i do with the hole that is left by it? plug it or leave it?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I heard all the work of taking it out isn't worth it... any input? I was thinking of removing it too but seems like a lot of work for almost no gain in anything(the Duratec already sounds really good with the silencer)

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
You could cover it with something breathable, like pantyhose. But you'll need to consider that your car will no longer be pulling in cold air from the fender, but warm air from the engine.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Me?

I say 'eh'. But it'd help to get some Vulcan guys who've done it in here to give their observations.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm... i assume warm air is bad but is it that bad?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Where you're at I can't imagine it gets that hot. But the warmer the air, the more it reduces performance.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Changing the lock pulls to chromed ones, installing Mach Audio, putting woodgrain in...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I took mine out, it didn't change a thing. A whole lot of hassle for nothing. If there even is a change in noise, you can't hear it over the sound of the belt turning, or the power steering pump. I'd say don't bother... sorry

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mach audio done, audio system up to my par now with 3.5mm jack. chrome lock pulls i can do and woodgrains on the list for next time i go to the jy! what about the strut tab mod? do you recommend it?

·
Registered
22,579 Posts
I've done neither of these 2 mods, but removing the silencer (saxaphone) won't convert your cai into a wai. No gains except possibly a throatier sound. Strut tab mod is the poor man's way to combat sas. You simply loosen pinch bolts and move the struts higher in the knuckles. You can find plenty of info about these 2 mods in the forum topic finder, wiki or search features. My advice, save your $ for repairs, preventive maintenance and solid gains.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so dont do the stm? my taurus has got bad sas when i got a few people in the car :(

·
Registered
3,512 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All i want is a quick fix for sas not to replace the whole springs

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
As far as I know, there is no fix for SAS short of replacing the struts and springs. Others may know something I don't, though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts