Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have covered this but i am not sure where to cut and how much. If someone has this done if you could please take a picture in your wheel well and show me what u did and the tools you used thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It depends on what generation Taurus you have.

Try these:

Gen 1/2

Gen 3

Gen 4

Not all of them have pictures, but you really don't need them. It is pretty obvious what needs to be removed when you take off the drivers side front splash shield (if you have a gen 3 or gen 4). If you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't try it yourself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I not as think as you stupid I am! :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 92' which i think is a gen I but on the GEN I thats the 3.8 engine i have a 3.0 and its entirely different it does not have that thing inside the intake mine looks like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Originally posted by Anemicmargarita@May 20 2004, 04:25 PM
I have a 92' which i think is a gen I but on the GEN I thats the 3.8 engine i have a 3.0 and its entirely different it does not have that thing inside the intake mine looks like this...
You have a Gen 2, hmm....you have a vulcan, so it might be different. Maybe one of the Gen 2ers can help you out?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It should be close. The air box assy. should still be the same.

The only thing I can tell you is to take the airbox apart like the link said and see where it goes. If there isn't a silencer (the cone) in there, then someone may have already taken it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive taken it apart many times, like when i painted it. I dont know if i have the Vulcan because everyone who has them say their slow and mine with no mods except for visual is fast. I can turn the tires pretty good. I dont think someone would of taken it off if it did have it because old people used to own it. i just want to do the thing under the wheel well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and on top of that most sound like they are taking that plastic box out that connects from the side of my car to the airbox out. and thats something u dont want to do that will rob all the power. Hot air in engine = No good

·
Registered
249 Posts
As far as I know GenII's either come with a Vulcan or Essex engine. If your's says 3.0 V6 on the valve cover then you have a vulcan. They aren't the quickest things in the world, but even with mine I can still spin the tires. They're rather torquey little beasts. For your year, I doubt there would be anything in the fenderwell aside from hollow plastic tubing (correct me if i'm wrong anyone). Take apart your filter box and check it out again. From the picture you posted, it doesn't look the same as the Essex, but very similar. Maybe the GenII vulcans didn't have intake silencers?!?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Gen1 Vulcan also and I tried the intake silencer mod and found the same results. I've come to the conclusion that it does not have one. The intake noise is very loud to begin with. The top of the intake cover is flat so the silencer is not there. The bottom of the intake box utilizes a 90* elbow that runs to the drivers' fender. I pulled this piece off and it does have that cone but it is connected to the 90* elbow which is a vital piece of the ducting. This leads me to believe that it does not have one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was thinkin about taking mine off my Gen4, but when I saw what you have to do to get that damn thing off, I said forget it. I didn't realize you have to take that stuff off. I the Crown Vic I had, all I had to do was take the airbox off and remove the cone. Oh well. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by ShoWannabe@May 20 2004, 06:41 PM
I have a Gen1 Vulcan also and I tried the intake silencer mod and found the same results. I've come to the conclusion that it does not have one. The intake noise is very loud to begin with. The top of the intake cover is flat so the silencer is not there. The bottom of the intake box utilizes a 90* elbow that runs to the drivers' fender. I pulled this piece off and it does have that cone but it is connected to the 90* elbow which is a vital piece of the ducting. This leads me to believe that it does not have one.
The problem is, most Gen2-ers go looking for a "silencer cone," which doesn't exist on the Gen2 Vulcan. However, you DO have a silencer... it's just not a seperate piece like on the Essex. The silencer is, in fact the very tube that draws cold air from the fender. Some people cut the end of it off, but that only makes the car slightly louder, and actually does nothing to increase airflow. What you need to do is remove the existing air intake from the airbox to the fender, and replace it with some form of ducting. Or, you could just leave the silencer as it is, since the Vulcan would need MAJOR mods to see any benefit from removing the silencer/intake feed tube.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts