Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I currently have a 2002 Bull SES with the 3ltr Duratec. I was wondering if its possible to swap the composite intake manifold to the 96-99 aluminium manifold? Has anyone done this? I ask because for one it looks better and the other reason is for PnP. I know that you can Port out the composite manifold. It's just I can get an excellent deal on an aluminium one and dont feel like messin with the composite manifold if its a simple swap.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
If only there were a search mechanism to find those older posts...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I have not heard of anyone porting a composite intake yet.

Anyways the 2 intake different in that the aluminum one is meant for secondaries but the composite is not.

I think you would be stepping backwards for the aluminum.

·
Registered
374 Posts
"I ask because for one it looks better and the other reason is for PnP."

1. Paint or powdercoating can make it look tons better.

2. Let's discuss PnP.

Porting by hand can only get where the tool will reach, the runners will not be touched with the exception of where the upper meets the lower. You can pretty much forget the plenum being well ported. A good machine shop will cut the intake manifold in half to get where they couldn't get before, then re-weld the intake back together, you can begin to see where this is heading $-wise. After PnP the finish will still be nowhere near as smooth as the composite intake.

Alternatively, you could have the intake manifold Extrude Honed, cost of this is $908. Using the abrasive putty that EH uses allows them to get everywhere without having to cut apart the intake, it also leaves a finish that is finer than hand PnP, but still not as smooth as the composite intake.

Also, the aluminum intake manifold is split-port, your heads are oval-port. Nautilus Performance sells an adapter for this, it costs $250.

Then you have the issue of heat soak with the aluminum intake manifold, this can be cured with a coating from SwainTech or JetHot. Add another $200 to $300 for this.

So where the performance trade-off? How much horsepower will you gain from spending hundreds, if not over a thousand, of dollars to put the older style aluminum intake on your engine? This very same question was tossed around CEG for the longest and after numerous dyno tests, the results were, for a split-port head Duratec, outside of the SVT intake, the aluminum one you picked up, was the best choice. The oval-port head Duratec moved the fuel injector positioning and ultimately the best intake manifold for it is the composite plastic one.

To sum it all up, if the composite intake is good enough for Noble owners that are pushing 600+ RWHP through their turbocharged 3.0L Duratecs, then it is good enough for any Taurus.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
We have been acid porting SHO runners as a cheaper option to extrude honing but still getting all the way though. Just a FYI.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
use an intake from a 2000 engine if your are looking for looks... they dont have the anti explosion ribs...

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I agree, if looks are what your going for, then go with the older composite UIM. It doesnt have the ribs and is a much nicer looking piece. I changed mine out over 3 years ago and have had no problems. It is much easier to keep clean and polished. I like your idea also of the poweder coating or polishing of the aluminum, but what you see in my car, cost less than $40.00 to get this look.

You have to look at the cost vs return on any mod. Why spend hundreds of dollars when a simple low cost option is out there. My car had won many awards with the engine being the main focus and it didnt break my bank account.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts