Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends :)

I hope you're all doing well.

I recently noticed my upper intake manifold had some holes in it, causing a nasty vacuum leak. I ordered a new Dorman upper intake manifold and attempted to install it today.

When attempting to switch this valve to the new intake ( apparently it's an Intake Manifold Air Valve XW4E-9L490-AD ), both bolts stripped on the actual hex part of the head. They basically "rounded", not allowing me to get a good grip to turn them into the new intake.

Does anyone know where I could find 2 OEM replacement bolts for this valve? The guy at the hardware store looked at me like I was crazy when I brought them in.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Automender12345 - I really appreciate the response.

Are they standard Torx sizes? Because none of my small set of allen wrenches seem to fit just right.

I think because of this, I (foolishly) used a size that was slightly too small and certainly didn't fit perfect. It caused the grooves in the head of the bolt to round more than they should be, not allowing any allen wrenches grip inside enough to turn it.

Definitely plan on calling tons of JY's today - good idea thank you.

What is the best way to describe these specific bolts to the person on the phone? Haven't dealt with JY's too much but something tells me now I will be :lol2:

·
Registered
134 Posts
What you are trying to do is make an Allen (a.k.a. hex head) wrench work on a Torx head screw. They are not interchangeable. Before running around trying to find replacement screws, go buy some Torx wrenches. I'm not 100% certain on size as I have the Durotech engine and I don't readily see a valve like this in which to confirm...but, Ford usually used a T25 or T27 for these kinds of parts. Maybe someone can else can confirm.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Pick up a set of Torx sockets at your local Harbor Freight for a few $$.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Pick up a set of Torx sockets at your local Harbor Freight for a few $$.
Agree 100%, Torx wrenches are essential for today's cars, no matter the brand. They are for the convenience of making things in a factory. Stronger and they stay put on the wrench. Philips was designed to let go and not overtighten screws. The sizes are a pain because often more than one size will look to fit but the smaller one is not good. I have to try the size until I find one too big and back down one size.

-chart-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MERCrunner , Jeff K , chartmaker , Automender12345

Thank you so much for your responses - and my noobie-ism is embarassing lol. As you can tell, clearly a beginner but I'm committed to learning.

Just picked up a set of Torx sockets at Harbor Freight and completed the job - she's purring like a kitten :coolgleam:

You guys are amazing and I really appreciate your help :bowrofl:

·
Registered
134 Posts
You certainly aren't the first to confuse the two...and, won't be the last. Kudos for asking questions and seeing the project thru. It's how we all learned...and, continue to learn.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
If your catalytic converter is plugging that maybe sending too much exhaust gas to the EGR and melting your intake. Make sure your PCV valve is working because it lets air into the EGR inlet region and helps keep the area cool. My 2006 shows signs of light melting and I don't have any issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your catalytic converter is plugging that maybe sending too much exhaust gas to the EGR and melting your intake. Make sure your PCV valve is working because it lets air into the EGR inlet region and helps keep the area cool. My 2006 shows signs of light melting and I don't have any issues.
Thank you everyone for the helpful info.

Well, a week after installing the new intake manifold, the same area melted :( I'm praying they send me a new one for free.

I've been reading a ton about this, and as Automender12345 suggested, it seems the #1 culprit is a clogged catalytic converter. I also read a bad EGR valve, and bad PCV valve can cause this.

I replaced the PCV valve recently with this one:
Does my Vulcan have another PCV valve, or is this the only one?

And aside from hitting the cat with a rubber mallet and listening for fragments, what's the best way to confirm? How many cats does my 05 Vulcan have? I just ordered a Exhaust Pressure Tester from Autozone - hoping that may help.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
22,431 Posts
^ Only 1 pcv valve. Search (top right of the page): egr suck test. Are you getting p0420/430 trouble code(s)? You could temporarily remove pre-cat (upstream) o2 sensors to see if driveability/performance improves. An exhaust/muffler shop should also be able to diagnose cat(s). You have a total of 3 cats: 1 for each bank and an unmonitored 1 downstream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
sheila
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing