Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Taurus
red brake light, on the instrument cluster, is on all the time. Brake fluid is full. ABS speed sensors tested ok with an Ohm meter. When I disconnect the brake resevoir fluid level electrical plug to the resevoir the red light goes out. I assume that means there is a problem with the resevoir fluid level device in the resevoir.
Also the ABS and the traction control light do NOT come on during the normal self test during engine start up.
I did get a code of U1262 (SCP communication bus fault) from an ABS scanner
can anyone tell me what that code means and how do I fix it?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The brake light level switch is not a common problem on the Taurus but a big problem on some Fords.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Check the ABS sensor contacts. They may need to be cleaned, possibly at the harness end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same problem during last 10 days. The light comes and goes. Fluid level is OK, brakes performance is ok.
Also, i saw Traction Control lamp (green wheel in the left upper part of dashboard) come to life for a couple of seconds on absolutely dry highway. It happened 2 times so far.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (dasixx @ Jun 7 2009, 09:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730848
I have the same problem during last 10 days. The light comes and goes. Fluid level is OK, brakes performance is ok.
Also, i saw Traction Control lamp (green wheel in the left upper part of dashboard) come to life for a couple of seconds on absolutely dry highway. It happened 2 times so far.[/b]
If it follows the pattern mind did the brake light (red) will soon stay on all the time.
If you check everything else (wheel speed sensors, parking brake switch) and the light is still on, then there is 99% chance its a bad ABS module like mine.
Its not the end of the world. Go to a junk yard and pull one off another Taurus making sure the one you pull has traction control ABS module. (It will say TCS) on the black box you pull. You DO NOT need the ABS pump and you do NOT have to disconnect the brake lines going into your pump. Unscrew the same six screws to split the module from the pump, disconect the harness on the bottom of the module that goes to the pump and swap them out. It's a very tight fit to do this but it can be done. Tha ABS unit is under your battery and under the battery tray. Good luck. If you need more help getting it out let me know.

A new ABS module from the dealer is $890 / on line dealer price $460 with your old module core sent back in!

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I am not sure if this helps not not.

This is what you are looking for.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts