Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the kids broke/cracked the instrument panel plastic lens.
Does anyone know how to remove the instrument cluster so I can replace the plastic lens cover? 2001 Taurus. Details would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I don't know the steps myself not having a gen4 but i know for a fact that the steps are in the haynes or chilton's manual since others have used them as references when changing out the gauge clusters. I know it's not the answer you were looking for but if you don't have one of those books already it's a good excuse to buy one and it should help you many times in the future so it's not a waste of money.

If you need a replacement clear lense it couldn't hurt to place a WTB add in the Wanted To Buy forum, it's possible someone might have one or could get it for you at a junk yard and save you a few bucks replacing it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe most people can follow the instructions in the Haynes Repair Manual but I surely can't. It gives little attention to the 2000 and above. "See Illustration" but it doesn't say which one. "remove the headlight switch" . . . no illustration, no instructions just "remove". "Detach the transmission range indicator cable from the gear selector tube in the steering column." Ah . . . like how? No picture, no instructions on how. These Haynes books use a kazillion pages on how to rebuild the engine, which, in reality, most owners would never attempt, and Haynes gives little to the ordinary stuff that regular owners would do or attempt like change a bulb, etc. "Installation is the reverse of removal". Wow! Do they really think I can remember how I took something apart? But the Haynes manual has five pages on measuring a camshaft. Fortunately, I purchased the Haynes manual used.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
sorry to hear you didn't have much/any luck with the haynes manual. I've sure a Gen4 owner will see this and chime in and help out. If not you can try posting a new thread in the "Aesthetics, Interior, Wheels and Tires" forum about gauge cluster swapping and see if anyone that has done it before can help you with your problem. Wish i could be more help, sorry :(

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If the Haynes manual isn't helping, you could always try to pick up a Chilton's manual. Each book is different and can cover things that the other doesn't.

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 11 2004, 09:54 AM
If the Haynes manual isn't helping, you could always try to pick up a Chilton's manual. Each book is different and can cover things that the other doesn't.

JR
Very true, that is why i bought them both.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
The Main Cluster Lense (as it is called by ford) runs 29.15 from the stealership (my local dealer anyways) but you can get it at www.fordpartsnetwork.com for 16.99 (plus 8 s/h). It's part number is F6DZ10887A unless you have a flex-fuel vehicle and then for some reason it's a different part and price. :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by HighTecRedneck@Aug 12 2004, 12:09 PM
unless you have a flex-fuel vehicle and then for some reason it's a different part and price. :)
I am finding out that stuff for a FF is listed as not available when it is the same things as for other cars. The DPFE wasn't available for a FF and I tracked it down at the dealer and looked at the stampings and it was the same as the one for a vulcan.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by unit731@Jul 26 2004, 03:19 AM
One of the kids broke/cracked the instrument panel plastic lens.
Does anyone know how to remove the instrument cluster so I can replace the plastic lens cover? 2001 Taurus. Details would be appreciated.

If you're willing to wait the weekend, I'm creating a detailed step-by step on dash removal for a 4 Generation (00-up) Taurus. Photos included. Here's the down and dirty though:

remove kickpanel under steering wheel (2 bolts)

Remove radio. U-tools avaliable @ AutoZone for $3.99

there are 5 screws in that bezel remove all

remove two screws above cluster, one screw to the right of the column, pop off trim

remove headlight switch from trim

work out the trim best as possible. This is tricky, but it'll work. the plastic has some play, so light to moderate force is okay. best to have the steering wheel all the way down as well.

there are about 6 gold screws holding in the lens, a T10 Torx screwdriver is best here.

remove lens, replace, reverse process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts