Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Instrument Panel. Geniii

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  shoz123 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I've got a couple burned out bulbs in my intruments panel, on a GenIII. How do I remove the instrument panel. Haynes says there are 4 screws, two at the top and two at the bottom... I can't find the two at the bottom. I've removed the headlight switch, the radio/integrated control, and the knee kickboard, but still no luck... maybe i'm just stupid.

I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks.

#2 ·
it varies a little bit between if you have floor or column shift. basically, you first have to take off the trim piece around the gauge cluster. floor shift has two screws at the top of the trim piece, on that little 'shelf' above the gauge cluster. then as gently as possible, pull/pry the trim piece off. dropping the steering wheel all the way would probably help. i think if you have column shift you have to remove the radio to get the trim piece off ... can't remember. anywho ... once you get that off, there should be four screws like the manual says, two on top, two on the bottom. the ones on the bottom are on tab-like dealies, a little farther out than the top screws. once those screws are out, you should be able to pull the top out a little bit and disconnect the harnesses, and then pull the whole thing out, top end first. if you have column shift i think you have to disconnect a prndl indicator linkage thingamabobber too.

i dunno how detailed your haynes manual gets about replacing the lightbulbs ... but the sockets get turned 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and then they should pull out. I mention this because a lot of times after sitting in there for how many years they get kind of stuck ... and you have to gently but firmly take a pair of pliers to them.

hope that's somewhat helpful.

#6 ·
The procedure for removing the instument cluster from a floor shift vehicle is as follows:

1- Remove two screws at top of black trim piece.
2- Pull out trim piece, which is held in with trim clips.
3- Unscrew bolts around the instrument cluster (use a nutdriver).
4- Pull out cluster.
5- Unplug wiring harnesses from rear.
6- Locate bulbs and replace.

While you're back there, why don't you just put in LEDs rather than standard bulbs. They'll be brighter and look better than standard bulbs.

JR

#9 ·
Doesn't he have to remove the panel below the steering column?

#14 ·
where to get led's ... quite some time ago i replaced the side marker lights on my car with led's. i ended up getting them off ebay, there seems to be a good selection of bulb types / colors for a decent price. since then i noticed autozone has started to carry a small selection, you might be able to find some there.

#17 ·
the side markers were ... i think ... 194 or 168 ... i believe they're interchangeable for purposes of replacing them with led bulbs.

Qwertz, I think I see your thoughts wandering down the path of replacing turn/stop signal bulbs with led's. I tried it, and the lights ended up looking like poopey. as you say, 'concentrated beam and dots'. i think it works allright in the side markers 'cause there's a lot less space to fill with light. but with led technology evolving the way it is, perhaps soon they'll come up with some brighter wide-angle led's for auto bulb replacement. i've also contemplated somehow buying a case of led's, disassembling the rear light assemblies, epoxy-ing the led's right to the lenses and then wiring them up. well, it's a thought anyways ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.