Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V duratec, 125,000 kms.

Instrument cluster lights not working, radio and heater panel lights work OK.
Turn signal indicator lights are on continuously when the headlight switch is in "auto mode" and "manual mode". the turn signal lights can be
dimmed with the dimmer switch, but still no instrument lights,
changing dimmer switch to high or low position, do not help, however
when dimmer switch is selected to mid-range, and the left or right turn signal
is selected, the lights in the radio and heater panel flash the same as the
turn signal indicator. Selecting left or right turn signal. and turn signal indicator light will flash OK.

All exterior lights, DRL, emergency flashers work OK.

Headlight switch is "always" in auto mode.
Tried switching the headlight switch from 'auto mode" to "manual mode", still the same.

If you encountered this problem, would like to know how you resolved this.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
:unsure: I HAVE A 02 SES SPORT AND MINE ARE DOING THE SAME THING.I DID
RUN UP ON A POST SOMEWHERE THAT SAID TO THE BEST OF MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THERE IS A MAIN CONNECTOR ON THE BACK OF THE
CLUSTER THAT GETS HOT AND DEFORMS THE CONNECTOR AND THEN GROUNDS OUT THE PLUG I DON'T KNOW BUT I DO WISH WE COULD FIND A FIX!! :cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
:woot: I TOOK MINE TO THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY PULLED THE CLUSTER OUT AND FOUND A WIRE HARNESS HAD CAME UNPLUGED THEY PLUGED IT BACK UP AND NOW IT WORKS FINE.PRAYFULY THAT WILL FIX YOURS TOO!!! :noes:

·
Super Moderator
8,116 Posts
I am sure the dealer charged an arm and a leg. Unless a repair takes under 2 minutes, any shop, especially a dealer, will charge for any repair of any type. A typical dealer will charge $100+ to plug in a scan tool and read codes, which takes only a few minutes to so.

Pulling the cluster takes WAY more than 2 minutes, but is easily done at home with no specialty tools.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did they charge you to do this?
Don't expect an answer to something posted back in 2006. But as Jeff K says, most anybody can take the dash apart to get to the instrument cluster. It just takes time, some screwdrivers and maybe the stereo removal tool -- google Ford stereo removal tool. There's some videos that show the steps, which I watched before diving in when I needed to replace some burnt bulbs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 02 was like this when I got it. It was a bad connection at the plug on the back of the cluster. Pulled it out. Cleaned the terminals on the plug and pried them out a little bit so that they put more pressure on the contacts on the cluster and they have worked flawlessly for the last 2-1/2 years now. Took maybe 30 minutes tops to fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts