Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading though the How-to change your instrument cluster bulbs. I was just wondering why you had to use 11 incandesant and 6 blue (or whatever). If you use all blue will it be to dark or something? Just wondering before i buy the bulbs.

*EDIT* Anyone know what will happen if you exchange the bulbs for the UV (Blacklight) LED kind? Would that make the guage face glow up?, or would it look like barf/not work at all?

·
Registered
101 Posts
IIRC, the 6 blue were for making your guages light up blue, and the other 11 were for replacing the other lights (SES, ABS, etc..) while you're back there so you wont have to again when one blows out. If you're gonna use blue, and want them to be nice and bright go to super bright leds and use the wide dispurtion blue leds. The wide dispurtion leds direct the light towards the sides more than straight out. If you use the regular leds, you will more than likely have blue circles lighting up your guages and will be kinda dim. Only thing is, with the leds, if when you put them in and they dont work, turn them around, and they will work.

Hope that cleared it up a bit for ya.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have a 01 SES and I want to make the night glow blue... does that mean all I have to do is find blue lights/LED cluster or is it green from the face?
(aka, whats the easiest way to make the gauges blue backlit?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hot. Thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt sure if i could just stack the whole thing with blue bulbs or not. Im gonna get me some bulbs and try this out. Ill also pick up one of those UV bulbs and see how it does. Maybe half and half would look nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
maybe making the speedo blue, and the gas, and tach UV? I'd like that.

I've got a question about making them RED...whould this be easily doable with the same results as the blue?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put the blue in my speedo but it's not that bright, my dimmer light doesn't do much at all, is there a way to make my leds brighter?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by XGETXILLX@Dec 12 2003, 08:03 PM
maybe making the speedo blue, and the gas, and tach UV? I'd like that.

I've got a question about making them RED...whould this be easily doable with the same results as the blue?
I asked that question before in the old forums...basically, some of the markings that are in blue or red (like the temp gauge and gas) might look a different color (read purple for the blues) or be too dark to see with the red LED's. I tried it with regular Red bulbs and I didn't like the tint so I just went with some superbright white bulbs. Looks really nice when its at full power (I keep it at 3/4th's with the dimmer tho because it runs really hot).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts