Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I had some issues with water temp (according to the stock gauge) with the AC on. In stop and go traffic the gauge got into the danger zone a few times.

This summer I'd like to install an aftermarket gauge to get a better indication of what the water temp ACTUALLY is.

I am a semi-competent home mechanic, but I know nothing about how to go about installing a temp gauge.

Can anyone tell me how I would go about this with the 3.4L?

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Last summer I had some issues with water temp (according to the stock gauge) with the AC on. In stop and go traffic the gauge got into the danger zone a few times.

This summer I'd like to install an aftermarket gauge to get a better indication of what the water temp ACTUALLY is.

I am a semi-competent home mechanic, but I know nothing about how to go about installing a temp gauge.

Can anyone tell me how I would go about this with the 3.4L?
There are a variety of gage systems that tap the OBDII port. U could on some have a set point warning for a temp.

The OBD info is quite accurate.

Added pic of my simple carchip recorder and temp from ~100 degree outside driving in highway, and city stop and go. Of course it has no display, but records data you choose, play back on computer. Does let me see when the fans kick in to manage the temp.

-chart-

·
Registered
43 Posts
i got this scan gauge plugs into obd2 and it reads a multitude of things going on in the car check there website out scangauge . com my water temp sits around 85 while driving and in trafic goes to 98 no higher and my volts sit around 14.5

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Celsius. Just so no one wonders why your temps are so 'low', lol!
omg his speedometer can read up to 180!!!!!111111 super fast edition.

Just kidding to our Canadian neighbor :)

OP - why not just use the PID, get a bluetooth OBD2 reader, then use an app on your phone to monitor actual temp.

Mine was always around 210-215, low speed kicked on at 216 iirc.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The scan guage is pretty neat for someone who is not so tech savy. I checked out the website quickly and the online price is about $170. It also has gas mileage monitoring and odometer options that you may want to frequently use.

The more economical approach would be what Bull Geek suggested. Assuming you have the tech skills and a laptop.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
The scan guage is pretty neat for someone who is not so tech savy. I checked out the website quickly and the online price is about $170. It also has gas mileage monitoring and odometer options that you may want to frequently use.

The more economical approach would be what Bull Geek suggested. Assuming you have the tech skills and a laptop.
No skill required...download a phone app and buy a $20 OBD II plug. Thats it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I am probably going to go with a high dollar obd gauge, data recorder, programmer if we can get it worked out to work with my 06 as well. It is similar to the Dash Daq N just tweaked to also be a programmer and should work with all of my Fords including my Powerstroke.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a little bit disappointed I didn't know such tools exist for such little cost.
I'll be reading up on obd2 apps and getting a bluetooth adapter in the near future.
My 6 y/o has a nice 9" android tablet that should make a great monitor :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
i got this scan gauge plugs into obd2 and it reads a multitude of things going on in the car check there website out scangauge . com my water temp sits around 85 while driving and in trafic goes to 98 no higher and my volts sit around 14.5
I noticed that your transmission light is on. Is it supposed to be on when you start the car? I have never seen my transmission light ..

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm a little bit disappointed I didn't know such tools exist for such little cost.
I'll be reading up on obd2 apps and getting a bluetooth adapter in the near future.
:thumb: good idea

·
Registered
152 Posts
For Android, get Torque Pro. It's just $5 and well worth it. Works good with the cheap Bluetooth adapters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
both my tauri flash pretty much all the lights then once i start it all of them go away the cars have 0 codes maybe you have some blown bulbs back there?? only thing i can think of

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
2000 models will not flash the Trans light on key on self test.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Isn't it nice of Ford to make the G-4 years all alike?:lol2:

-chart-
Ja, sure....:eek:

Just like the two generations of the Gen1.....:lol2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
Lgbpop
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing