Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Mach RCU, and I want to switch it with my standard one. Do I have to disconnect the battery before doing this? I searched but I couldn't find anything specifically regarding this question.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Anytime you are messing with electronics, it is certainly in your best interest to disconnect the negative battery terminal..but you don't have to. Just remove the assortment of push pins and pull up on the scuff plate, and pull the liner back. Make sure you insert the connections in the proper corresponding slots.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I never disconnected the battery when I swapped my RCU. Frankly there's no need to just because it's like changing a light bulb.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
:werd:
Done it many times myself with no disconnection. :)

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
:homer:

I already knew that!
Hopefully other people do!! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I installed the RCU, it sounds great! I guess my next step would be to buy some tweeters. I really don't want to spend more than $50. Can I just buy any kind and plug them in? Does my car already have the wires? I can't figure out how to remove the black plastic part where the tweeters go to look.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I can pick up tweeters at most junkyards around $5 for each speaker w/assembly and wiring. Make sure you snip the wire AFTER the connector, as much as you can.

Your 2000, assuming it's not an SEL (you'd have a keypad under your driver's door handle), will not have the wiring in there. However, it is extremely easy to write up. You just need some tweeters from a 1998+ Taurus or Sable for ease of installation.

You have to remove the door panel to access the second screw for the plastic cap, the 1st one is behind the gromet in that plastic mirror cover.

PM me a good emailing address. I have a writeup I made for risoworker that will work for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts