Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trying to install a power steering pump pulley onto my pump with no success.I went over to advance auto to buy a power steering pump removal tool for my 95 sable.I was able to remove the pulley,but have a hell of a time to install it.I am only able to install it half way before the bolt strips out with two different pumps.The only reason I was doing this because the tensoner bolt snapped in the metal bracket and was not able to get broken bolt out like before very fustrating.Two different stores pep boys and advance use the same tool,does the ford dealers use a different tool because the bolt thread is very fine inside the pump unlike the tool kit uses a slightly courser thread?.
If they do use one were you would you get it any suggestions? :angry:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having same issue

i was wondering how you solved your problem...been dealing with this all day and totally stumped. please advise if you were able to find the solution.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I am changing the pump on a 2003 Vulcan and I pulled the whole bracket with the pump still attached. Much easier on a bench and much more control and access. It is a PITA with the 2 studs into the block that hold bracket. I also removed the overflow reservoir for more room to work. Sometimes it is faster to get things out of the way than it is to complain about it. Soak the heck out of center of new pulley and the shaft with WD40 or silicone lube spray. If you pull the whole bracket worse case is take to machine shop and get it done by a pro. LONG RUN WILL SAVE MUCH FRUSTRATION!! Good luck, hope it gets easier!!
Stan

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
White grease on the power steering pump shaft will make it easier to press the pulley on.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
I am changing the pump on a 2003 Vulcan and I pulled the whole bracket with the pump still attached. Much easier on a bench and much more control and access. It is a PITA with the 2 studs into the block that hold bracket. I also removed the overflow reservoir for more room to work. Sometimes it is faster to get things out of the way than it is to complain about it. Soak the heck out of center of new pulley and the shaft with WD40 or silicone lube spray. If you pull the whole bracket worse case is take to machine shop and get it done by a pro. LONG RUN WILL SAVE MUCH FRUSTRATION!! Good luck, hope it gets easier!!
Stan
I had a pain with the two studs on the pump. Then I discovered I was "stupid".

Did not know to align the holes in the pulley. :p

I bought a puller from AutoZone. I did the bench pull, replaced the seal, redid the pulley. Used impact wrench on the puller.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I had a pain with the two studs on the pump. Then I discovered I was "stupid".

Did not know to align the holes in the pulley. :p

I bought a puller from AutoZone. I did the bench pull, replaced the seal, redid the pulley. Used impact wrench on the puller.

-chart- I just bought a good puller and install tool on Ebay for $25. It is a Carqwest lifetime brand in new package. I found it fairly straight forward to get the bracket pulled as a unit. Plan on a new water pump while I am into the bowels of the ship any way. Which two studs fooled you any way?? I got a new water pump and new power steering pump from RockAuto. The water pump is AC Delco 26.00 all metal and good for the price. The power steering looks like oem that I pulled. How long ago did you tackle this anyway chart?

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^ Line up the holes on the pulley with the pump mounting bolt heads and remove pump with ratchet, extension and socket with pulley installed. No need for hand wrench between the pulley and pump.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thanks, that was what I saw was possible too. I was just pulling whole bracket to clean and get new water pump access. Pump had fluid everywhere, so when cleaned up I will pull pump from bracket and do the pully too. The water pump is OEM with 112 K on it. Just bought the car for $400 and am going through it. The guy I bought it from hit a deer the 3rd day he had car. He had bought it for $3500 and had no insurance.
I am just trying to repair and maybe sell. Just had back surgery and will take my time and put it back together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
does anybody know what size of socket I need to remove the torq bolt going through the power steering pump pulley? i heard t50 but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!
David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts