Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to installa k&n filter in my 97 taurus gl. i know i have to remove the original filter box and leave the mass air flow sensor on. i dont know what size of adapter i need for my MAF sensor. i think it is 3". would this do: NEW 3" Aluminum MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor Filter Adapter | eBay

if it does i already have a coupler and filter picked out. thanks.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If its just a drop-in filler, you don't need to replace anything but your old filler.

Or are you installing a cone filter?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Is it a WAI style under the hood cone filter? Measure the neck on the cone if it is. Your car will run worse with it.
I use a Mobil Pure 1 oiled stock CAI replacement one myself. Intake silencer in the fender well is removed also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it because the filter would be in the area with the engine? could i get a longer metal pipe and run the filter down lower in the car to get cold air coming in?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
There are many members here who have run a pipe to the fender well and put a cone there. Others have put a cone right under the hood. Why, I don't know. The factory set up is a CAI that will pass more CFM's than your engine will ever need. Must be the "looks cool" factor of a cone under the hood. Any filter under the hood (cone) will draw warm air from the engine bay which is warmer and less dense (less O2 for combustion) than air pulled from the fender-well by the stock set-up. They might look all ricer-cool, but they lack hard.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/122898-how-remove-intake-silencer.html

Be aware that HP and mileage gains are about zero. Just sounds cool...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. i guess i'll just drop in a K&N panel filter :)

any toher way to get a little more hp out of it?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Strap a jet pack to the roof. Seriously, it's the former #1 selling mid-size family sedan and top fleet rental vehicle. It's easy to work on, a pleasure to drive and parts are among the least expensive, but she ain't gonna win too many races...

Edit: a 200hp Duratec is a lot more fun than a 145hp Vulcan....just sayin'....

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
thanks for the info. i guess i'll just drop in a K&N panel filter :)
Mobil Pure One's are just as good, and cheaper. Washable, reusable filters are a PITA in the long run. And you risk MAF fouling if you over-oil.
And take off the silencer...it'll at least sound meaner...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
engine is a v6 3.0l 145-hp

would new spark plugs be good?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts