Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 02 taurus that im looking to make my own. one small step at a time but im slowly getting there. one thing i've wanted to do since day 1 in keypad entry, i just called my local ford stealership, those bastards want 600+ JUST FOR LABOUR to install it, and i have to find the part myself... so here i am, asking if any of you guys have put it in, or know what i need to put it in... i can buy the entire door handle with the pad in it already from my local junkyard for 35 bucks, i assume i need the BCM or other such computer bit as well. what do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got an 02 taurus that im looking to make my own. one small step at a time but im slowly getting there. one thing i've wanted to do since day 1 in keypad entry, i just called my local ford stealership, those bastards want 600+ JUST FOR LABOUR to install it, and i have to find the part myself... so here i am, asking if any of you guys have put it in, or know what i need to put it in... i can buy the entire door handle with the pad in it already from my local junkyard for 35 bucks, i assume i need the BCM or other such computer bit as well. what do you guys think about this?
In the eleven years of owning Bulls, I have never used the door key pad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a month into owning it i locked the keys in it, had to bend the door out, which caused it to leak if i drove it in the rain... had to get a second person to help me bend it back but it would be nice to literally never worry about that ever again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
a month into owning it i locked the keys in it, had to bend the door out, which caused it to leak if i drove it in the rain... had to get a second person to help me bend it back but it would be nice to literally never worry about that ever again.
It'd be cheaper to cut a spare key. It doesn't have to have the PATS chip, it just has to be able to unlock the door. Once you get that key cut, put your main key on its' own ring, and the spare on with your house keys. Well, it doesn't matter which key you put where, as long as they're not on the same key ring. When you go somewhere with the car, carry both keys with you, and you'll never be locked out again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
those bastards want 600+ JUST FOR LABOUR to install it
You can buy a version that does not connect via wire but controls it like a remote fob. I’m searching now.

EDIT: Still looking for a Ford version that is compatible. Here is a generic version I found on Amazon:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'd be cheaper to cut a spare key. It doesn't have to have the PATS chip, it just has to be able to unlock the door. Once you get that key cut, put your main key on its' own ring, and the spare on with your house keys. Well, it doesn't matter which key you put where, as long as they're not on the same key ring. When you go somewhere with the car, carry both keys with you, and you'll never be locked out again.
a spare key is useless when i leave them in the damn car, doesnt matter if i have 5. and i already have a spare

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy a version that does not connect via wire but controls it like a remote fob. I’m searching now.

EDIT: Still looking for a Ford version that is compatible. Here is a generic version I found on Amazon:

thanks fella, your link led me to find fords actual product. its for 2013's but the reviews have it going down to a 1990 bronco, and lots of 1999 F350s oddly enough, and it works in the same way as a second fob. thanks guys!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I remember adding the genuine Ford wireless remote keypad to my 2003 F150. Cool thing is that you can mount it anywhere with the 3M tape. I had it mounted on the bottom of the drivers window on my 2003 F150 Supercab. Ya program it just like another key-fob. Way better then trying to install the wired keypad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a magnet and stick a spare under the car mine had a small opening under the car that i used to stick the magnet box right into the frame. (I think it was the frame i just felt an opening Near the rear and stuck it in) that sounds weird I know but meh that’s what I did hope it helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts