Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus GL 3.0L Vulcan, Silver Frost
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See my post below for actual information

I got a good deal on a trunk-mount CD changer and harness on eBay, it's supposed to be here in a couple of days. Are there any holes I need to drill into the trunk in order to accommodate the mounting brackets? Also, what size bolts/nuts should I get for mounting? I can't find any information online, and looking at the inside of my trunk I'm not sure which holes would be used for mounting. I'm sure once I get the changer in my hands it'll make a lot more sense, but I'd like to know what I need to prepare for when the time comes.

Thanks in advance,
SB

·
Registered
23,101 Posts
May check a pick-n-pull salvage yard if possible and harvest any parts/hardware you may need. Iirc, the trunk carpet is different/altered for the trunk units.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus GL 3.0L Vulcan, Silver Frost
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In case this thread is used as a source of knowledge in the future, the installation was a success. There are no holes you need to drill into the metal, they're all there. However, if you're like me and don't have a replacement trunk liner, you will have to slice into the trunk liner to get the bolts through. I initially tried poking a screwdriver into the spot where the bolt would go, but that did not work well and you will need to cut an X-shape into the location of one or both of the bolt holes into your liner. That being said, you will probably not see these cuts once the bracket is installed. You will also need to cut a generous hole into your trunk liner around the other mounting point. On my installation, I cut a very large rectangular hole because I felt I needed the wiggle room, however I probably could have managed to get mine smaller. Make sure your trunk liner lines up where it needs to be before you cut or install anything. This ended up being a bit of a problem for me when it came time to install the liner back into place, which led me to cut the X-shapes I mentioned earlier.

I used 1/4"-20 bolts and matching nuts. The ones I got were an inch long, and were rather hard to get into place, but it was worth it because the extra length ended up saving my rear end after i nearly dropped one of the bolts into a place it could not be retrieved. Speaking of, if you don't already, always buy extra fasteners. On my install, I only did two of the three bolts because the bottom one on the left bracket was too much of a pain. It was a simple installation, it only took me about 15 or 20 minutes. I will include pictures in this reply later tonight once my phone is charged, though unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the actual installation, as I just wanted to get it done.

I don't know what kind of differences there are in different Ford CD changers, this one is from a '98 at least (the part number on the cassette began with F8), though the actual unit itself was produced October of 1997. Both fit together and work well in my (March) 1997 Taurus, I don't know how a newer one would work, or how an older one would work.

Hopefully this will help anyone else looking to put a CD changer into their bull like I did. It's a very simple installation, I'm 17 and I was able to do it with just two wrenches and little sweat.

Completed Installation (the green markings were on the unit on arrival, i have no idea what they're for or where they came from. They have since been cleaned off.)

Right/Front bracket. The top post is for the fastener, the bottom post is to key into the hole to keep it in place.

The wiring harness for the CD changer, it's all plug-and-play. The only real work is hooking up the ground wire. No holes were cut for this, they are already in the liner.

The left/rear bracket. The two nuts on top probably aren't necessary, but I had an extra from the bolt I decided to leave out and I didn't have anything else to use it on.

·
Super Moderator
8,345 Posts
^^^ +1 Good job!

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
In the future, you can check different yards, there is a specific liner that goes with it, it has a black plastic cover that flips open to reveal the changer and there are slots to put CD cases in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts