Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a pair of Alpine Type S 3 ways off of eBay for $60 shipped and installed them today. Had to run down to Harbor Freight and get a body saw to cut about 3/4 of an anch of metal off from around the stock speaker openings to allow the larger 6x9''s to fit. I just drilled new holes and used the factory screws to reattach them, nothing special.

I'm VERY happy with the results! I had a set of Boston Acoustics 5x7 speakers in there before and these have crisper deeper bass, and cleaner highs. The Boston's are going to the front. I already got one in but ran out of light, I'll finish in the morning.

Pictures I took with my Blackberry

First speaker installed and also my $25 harbor Freight body saw :D

Little before and after.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (93 Sable @ May 9 2009, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723932
Got a pair of Alpine Type S 3 ways off of eBay for $60 shipped and installed them today. Had to run down to Harbor Freight and get a body saw to cut about 3/4 of an anch of metal off from around the stock speaker openings to allow the larger 6x9''s to fit. I just drilled new holes and used the factory screws to reattach them, nothing special.

I'm VERY happy with the results! I had a set of Boston Acoustics 5x7 speakers in there before and these have crisper deeper bass, and cleaner highs. The Boston's are going to the front. I already got one in but ran out of light, I'll finish in the morning.

Pictures I took with my Blackberry

First speaker installed and also my $25 harbor Freight body saw :D

Little before and after.[/b]

very nice man my brand is alpine i wont buy otherwise

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Good job! Looks nice.
It's cool that you aquired another tool in the process. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Looks good... installing 6x9's in the back is always a good improvement... Although I didnt cut the parcel shelf... just made spacers and hid it all under the tray...

·
Banned
90 Posts
wow the speakers blend perfectly with the stock body color, which i must say, is a very sexy factory hue...
I'd do this mod too, if I wasn't planning for Fiberglassing Component speakers, a Bass Port and a 36" LED third brake light into the rear deck this summer...

·
Registered
75 Posts
What is the big hole in the middle for? what is its size? does my 1999 fors taurus have that hole in the middle?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
QUOTE (Bionic @ May 16 2009, 02:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725618
What is the big hole in the middle for? what is its size? does my 1999 fors taurus have that hole in the middle?[/b]
im pretty sure its for a third speaker, but im not sure how you would wire it
i have same hole in my gen II :D

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (Jh8909 @ May 16 2009, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725619
What is the big hole in the middle for? what is its size? does my 1999 fors taurus have that hole in the middle?[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Its for a factory subwoofer that was an option with the JBL kit, didnt know Gen II's had that one though :)

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ May 16 2009, 05:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725649
QUOTE (Jh8909 @ May 16 2009, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725619
[/b][/quote]

Its for a factory subwoofer that was an option with the JBL kit, didnt know Gen II's had that one though :)
[/b][/quote]

yes sir, i was thinking about putting a speaker there but i had no clue how i would wire it so i just left it alone.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
QUOTE (VARIOUS @ VARIOUS) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725618
JhBionic: What is the big hole in the middle for? what is its size? does my 1999 fors taurus have that hole in the middle?
Jh8909: im pretty sure its for a third speaker, but im not sure how you would wire it
i have same hole in my gen II :D...
animex2: Its for a factory subwoofer that was an option with the JBL kit, didnt know Gen II's had that one though :)...
Jh8909: yes sir, i was thinking about putting a speaker there but i had no clue how i would wire it so i just left it alone.[/b]
GO TO: http://www.termpro.com/articles/center.html

It explains a couple of different ways to wire in a 'center' speaker.

BTW, is the saw you got electric, air, or cordless? Can't tell from the pic.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
GO TO: http://www.termpro.com/articles/center.html

It explains a couple of different ways to wire in a 'center' speaker.

BTW, is the saw you got electric, air, or cordless? Can't tell from the pic.
[/quote]

thanks a bunch for website! it helped alot. who knows mabye ill one day put a center channel speaker in my rear deck :D

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (03SE @ May 17 2009, 03:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725749
BTW, is the saw you got electric, air, or cordless? Can't tell from the pic.[/b]
It's air

I installed a JL 300w 4 channel amp last night and finally got it sounding good. The speakers have MUCH more power and sound much clearer at higher volumes. I can easily listen to music nice and loudly on the highway with the windows down, and they have a bunch of bass now too, I can easily go without an actual sub now, just the stock 6x9 sub I bought for that center hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts