Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got tired of playing around with these cheap HID PnP systems and manned up and finally bought a Morimoto system from The Retrofit Source. Let me tell you that the quality of this kit is very high. Clear down to the packaging, this kit is super clean.

Kit includes:
55W Ballasts
6K bulbs
Bulb Igniters
HD Relay
OEM Harness Adaptors

All the wiring of the kit is either braided wire sheathing or has TechFlex wire loom over the top. Your ballast come with pre-mounted brackets that you can order with optional carbon fiber brackets. This HID system also comes with a 5 year warranty (35w system) and a 3 year warranty ( 55w system).

While installing I did get slightly confused due to the fact that this system hooks up different than any of the other PnP system I've installed does. When starting your install, start with your HD relay. Your relay harness has one connection that is a 12v power that hooks directly up to your battery.

Next you will have to find a mounting spot for your relays which are mounted on a bracket/ hanger. I removed my air box and below there are 2 chassis grounds. I removed the lower of the grounds (blue arrow) and secured my relays here. Once you have your relays secure, your harness then has a ground in which I attached to the ground above where you secured your relays (red arrow).

From there it is pretty straight forward. You will have to take your dust caps off and either cut a slit in them or drill a hole in them to route your wire harness adapter. Once this is done, slide your harness adapter through your opening and plug the OEM plug in the headlight housing into the harness. That then will plug into your relay harness and you will see where your igniter plugs into the harness as well. Plug the igniter into your ballast. I chose to mount my drivers side ballast to the side of the air box with Velcro so it can easily be removed if I need to take the air box back out.

Your relay harness will run clear across the front of the car. I routed mine across the radiator and over to the passenger side headlight. With your second wire harness adapter you won't need the OEM integration plug so you can either cut it off or leave it there. The choice is yours. The passenger side section of the harness just has plug for the ballast and ground connection. For the ground connection I basically did the same thing as I did on the drivers side. There is another harness ground (red arrow) which I just undid and connected the relay harness ground there.

Then in the picture you can see where I mounted my ballast with Velcro as well.

One of the biggest issues I had with the PnP kits I had before was the fact that I lost my "Auto" function. With this system I regained my "Auto" function. This kit warms up much faster than the previous PnP kits. I am now looking further into changing the projector over from the Halogen projector.

Hopefully this helps everyone out a little bit in their decisions on PnP HID systems.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Looks awesome. They have the best stuff I have seen, but they quoted me $1k & that was the basic stuff parts & labor including retrofitting my centennials since I don't have a working oven. But you get what you pay for. If I were rich and living in their neck of the woods I would have went with them. I may still end up buying their parts. But congrats on a job well done :thumb:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So any pics with the beams activated? Hows the cut off?
I do not have any pictures of the cutoff. However I am going to try and re-install a set of bulbs from my previous sets and see how they look. Since I have installed the Morimotos I have a couple "bare" spots in the pattern that I never noticed before. Think it may be bulb related. I'll try and see if I can't snap a good picture of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably is I had to rotate my bulbs to get them to work perfect. I would suggest doing it at dusk and in front of a garage or wall you will see a distinct cutoff once they are installed correctly. Also the light will be much brighter.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The original problem has since been resolved by rotating the bulbs to a different orientation.

This is the cut off in the halogen projectors.

·
Registered
879 Posts
How crazy of an improvement is it? Is it truly worth it? 95% of my driving is during the day so I'm still on the fence.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How crazy of an improvement is it? Is it truly worth it? 95% of my driving is during the day so I'm still on the fence.
I would highly suggest it. Ever since I made the swap back a few cars ago I will never stay with halogen bulbs. Much brighter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Always install a kit with a relay. Do not use the kits without a relay. I had one installed and the startup drain when the lights are switched on caused several check lights on the dash and would throw the transmission into limp mode. At first I thought I had transmission problems but after a couple times it turned out to happen only right after I switched the lights on. I have since installed a relay and now it works great.
Is this on a gen6 ? Mine was a gen5 (2008).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always install a kit with a relay. Do not use the kits without a relay. I had one installed and the startup drain when the lights are switched on caused several check lights on the dash and would throw the transmission into limp mode. At first I thought I had transmission problems but after a couple times it turned out to happen only right after I switched the lights on. I have since installed a relay and now it works great.
Is this on a gen6 ? Mine was a gen5 (2008).
Yes sir. Gen 6. Never had any issues with the kits before without relays. Previous ride also had auto lights and never had any issues with firing so I didn't think it was going to be an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts