Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first let me say that I recently sold my old Mercury Cougar and in the process sold my Clarion DXZ835MP and took back my other car from my wife and she got the new one we bought. So I now have my 2002 Mercury Sable LS back and it has electronic climate controls, so its near impossible to install an aftermarket head unit in the dash.

So anyways I decided to do the best I can with the stock head unit and I purchased a David Navone 4 channel line out converter. I have it hooked up to the following:

Front: US Acoustics USX2100 (2x100 rms) to a pair of JL XR650 CXI's. I had to make my own baffle/converters to fit them in the 6x8/5x7 stock opening.

Rear: US Acoustics 4065 (2x65 & 1x160 bridged) to a pair of Pioneer TS6870 & 1 JL 10W0 in a sealed box.

I ran all new 16 gauge speaker cable everywhere. The Navone LOC says it puts out 9.5 volts (its variable) so I toned it down a bit to estimate 8.8 volts which is the maximum input voltage for the amps. The gains on the amps are at the minimum setting, bass boost is off. I have the fronts high passed at roughly 80 hz and the rears high passed at roughly 100 hz. The sub is low passed at roughly 80 hz.

For the moment I don't have a cd changer so I am listening to a Kenwood KCA-R70FM hooked up to a Kenwood Sirius Tuner. I am not using the FM Modulator however, instead I have it hooked into the cd changer port using a PIE Aux Input Adapter.

So getting to the point, it doesn't sound nearly as good as I had hoped. Sure its a helluva lot better than how the stock unit was before and my wife would probably think its wonderful. But it just sounds distorted to me. Up until about halfway on the volume it sounds OK, but after that I can hear a lot of distortion.

In my old car I had the Clarion DXZ835MP with the US Acoustics 4065 and the same Pioneer 6x8's in the rear, some crappy Pioneer 6.5 coaxials in the front and no sub and I swear it sounded 10 times better. If I turned it up, it would hurt before it ever distorted.

So whats the problem? Is it just crap in crap out and the Ford stock head unit is a POS? Was I expecting too much from the LOC? Does anyone have any suggestions or see any weak links? Could it be the PIE Adapter?

Distortion is a result of either clipping on the head unit or the amps right? I had the same amps in my other car and with the gain halfway they sounded great. Now with the gain at the minimum everything sounds like crap so I'm pretty sure its not them. I have much better speakers in this car with the JL's and I even have a sub now.

That only seems to leave one thing, the stock head unit. Anyone know if Taurus/Sables just have crap head units or is the whole line out converter thing just limited in how good it can sound?

I could go get an Eclipse or Alpine off of Ebay and stick it in the center armrest. It may not be the best setup, but I'm guessing it would sound better.

So what do you think? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Try adjusting your gains, turn them up a bit, expecially if you're getting distortion at half volume.

Also, I would try to drop your crossover points a bit. Maybe down to the 60 Hz range for the comps and sub, and possibly even lower than that. I have my comps and sub both crossed over at 50 Hz with a 24 db/oct slope. It sounds great and the bass from the sub really blends in well with the comps.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Also, does the Sirius unit have volume control? If so, try turning that down, you could be getting a distorted signal through there as well.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Oct 18 2004, 08:40 AM
Also, does the Sirius unit have volume control? If so, try turning that down, you could be getting a distorted signal through there as well.
good point

also...wtf is perdue doing winning so much??? except for last sat. they're now ranked below the wolverines, w00t! (11/12, respectively)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the gain on the aux input adapter always seemed too high. When everything was factory the Sirius would be loud at like 1 or 2 on the volume dial, while it would take FM Radio until like 5 to get to the same level.

There's no way to adjust the volume on the Kenwood Sirius Unit or the Aux Input Adapter, unless I swap it out and get a Sirius PNP, they have output level adjustments.

I'll try turning the gain up when I go to lunch....see if that helps. Maybe the LOC isn't really putting out 9.5 volts as it says. The bass right night is nonexistent.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Golvko you were right!

I figured it out kinda. If I put on regular FM radio with the gains at minimum I can turn the radio to like 9 out of 10 until it distorts. When I turn on the Sirius with the gains at minimum it distorts at about 4.

So I put it back at 3 and started turning up the gains on the amp. My God what a difference, it sounds awesome, no distortion.

The Navone LOC says it puts out 9.5 volts so I thought I had to keep my gains at minimum but I guess not. I have the gains up a quarter and with the volume at 3 or 4 it sounds great, loud and clear.

Only problem is I only have 3 levels on my volume to use. It goes from quiet to loud in a hurry. Maybe an attentuator could help could help to tone down the Sirius unit.

Tomorrow I might push the gains up a little more. David Navone emailed me back and mentioned a 3 to 1 overlap of amp voltage so maybe I can go a little higher. It sounds awesome now.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Great! I'm glad to hear it worked out - I've heard nothing but good things about DN's products.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the final piece of the puzzle was a Peripheral Electronics PRC1 Line Level Controller. It plugs in between the rca cables from the Sirius tuner and the Aux input and has a rotary dial to increase or decrease the level. Now I can match the Sirius Input perfectly with everything else. I actually have some headroom now LOL.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/signal_path.asp

What a great little device! $20 at a local Car Audio Shop. Everything sounds perfect now.

Rich

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
LINE OUTPUT CONVERTERS from walmart it the socsh brand and they are the best yet on the market mine are like at 80 % so put them at full and drop them about 1 /4 of a turn

if then you still dont have sound it maybe because you have a preamp somewhere and you need to get the sound from there with a different converter

go and ask a car stero place if he know this car maybe and im almost sure you have a preamp on this car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts