Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't sound quite like I expected. Here's a sound clip. It's a $15 Summit Turbo hooked to an Essex. IMO, it sounds kinda ricey, but not as annoying. I don't like it, but I'm out $60 for the install and $15 for the muffler. I guess I could live with it. It's not very loud and I can hardly hear it if I crank up the stereo. It's also not very "pretty" to look at, but whatever. It does feel a little bit faster and "easier" to accelerate, but I haven't exactly time tested that. They also said I had an exhaust leak at the manifold, but since that's gonna be expensive to fix, I could live with it. It's not like smoke is pouring out of the engine anyways.

The sound clip is short and small. Considering all I have is a tape recorder and a audio cable, the sound's not too good. The first part of the sound file is with te tape recorder on the ground by the side of the rear driver's wheel. It's in neutral so it's bouncing off the limiter the first couple of times, then I slowly rev it up. The second part of it is with the recorder directly underneath the muffler.

http://www.awesysnet.ca/~qwerty/Cars/SummitTurbo.mp3

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Hmm that doesn't sound too bad at all. So the Summit mufflers you bought, they were a straight thru design muffler right? This is really helpful for me to get an idea of how my 3.8 will sound with a dynomax ultraflo muffler...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Exhaust Video

well man here is my duratec with two dyno max super turbo's 31 bux a piece, a baffled resonator, high flow y-pipe.

all i can tell you is that when it comes to exhaust you get what you paid for so going with the more expensive ssay flowmaster or borla (i want) you should get a sound more to you liking.

also if you had you resonator removed and replaced with a glasspack muffler it should get a deeper tone. but that is just speculation.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@May 4 2004, 10:21 PM
Hmm that doesn't sound too bad at all.  So the Summit mufflers you bought, they were a straight thru design muffler right?  This is really helpful for me to get an idea of how my 3.8 will sound with a dynomax ultraflo muffler...
No, summit turbo mufflers aren't straight through. They're like all turbo mufflers, baffled inside to make the exhaust flow do two 180's before it can leave the muffler. Straight through mufflers should sound a little different.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
D'oh, you're right mike, I wasn't reading his post very intently. I was really excited that someone with a 3.8l actually did a sound clip compared to all the vulcan and 'tec pukes on the web :ph34r: . I suppose a straight-through muffler would be louder. That's the main thing that really concerns me. I don't want it to be loud to the point that I can't even drown it out with my radio on high volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts