Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 GL and I installed a 2001 transmission in it, and then found the speed sensor wire is different. The car shifted fine for a while, but now won't shift out of 1st gear, and the check engine light came on w/ p0500 speed sensor code. Please if anyone can assist...

1. How can I wire up the VSS from this 2001 transmission in my 1997 Taurus? I have the 2001 taurus at my disposal. Do I need the PCM? and wiring for vss? Please anyone assist. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2nd question. The TCC and pump was bad in the original transmission. Can I swap the pump and TCC from this 2001 transmission and put it in the 97 housing?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
First order of business would be to get a new VSS. You would have to look at the wiring diagrams to answer the wiring question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The VSS on the 2001 is different than the 1997. The speedometer worked before the transmission swap, the connectors are different on the 2001 transmission. Can someone answer if I will need additional parts from the donor vehicle?

2: Can someone tell me where I can get the wiring info for the two vehicles, so I can determine if they are the same or different.. Thank you

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
The VSS on the 2001 is different than the 1997. The speedometer worked before the transmission swap, the connectors are different on the 2001 transmission. Can someone answer if I will need additional parts from the donor vehicle?

2: Can someone tell me where I can get the wiring info for the two vehicles, so I can determine if they are the same or different.. Thank you
I don't know the answer, but you have to be concerned that the 97 and 01 VSS's output the same signal to the PCM.

I'll try to remember to look in the transmission manual tonight. Can you confirm engine model and transmission model?

Here is the wiring information (assuming 3.0 VIN U and AX4S transmission):
1997:
http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/Ford/170/WD_Ford_170741.pdf

http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/Ford/170/WD_Ford_170762.pdf

2001:
http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/Ford/128/WD_Ford_128634.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thank you for your help. The original was an AX4N, and what's installed is the 2001 model 4f50n. I have the 3.0 vulcan ohv motor. Again any assistance will be great. It actually drove home shifting gears, then the check engine light came on, then after turning off the car, and back on, it will only run in 1st and reverse. I see the vss wire not plugged into the transmission, it won't fit what I wanted is the following.

I am electronically inclined.. I know the 2 wires is looking for a certain voltage range, and because it's getting nothing, or an open circuit, it's throwing the engine code, and locking the transmission into 1st gear only *Limp mode.. i'm sure. So I wondered if I ran some kind of jumper somewhere, with a resistor in line, if needed from the transmission to the connector that is in the car already, I could maybe get these to mate. I heard the vss is magnetic on the 2001 and mechanical on the 1997. So I wondered if I took additional parts from the 2001 car, I could get this to work in my 97. unfortunately hindsight is best, but I am $1000 into this already

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Since everything is OBDII, you could just start swapping engine and transmission harnesses.

If there are two wires on the new sensor and the old one was one wire, the second wire is probably a reference ground of some sort. You just need to find out where that ground is in your engine bay and tap into it. (I ran into a similar problem with an engine temperature sensor when I put in my digital cluster.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the original was 2 wire, and the one from the 2001 taurus is 2 wire.. Can someone please assist. Thank you. Wiring diagram of the PCM, maybe, or what pulses come from the 2001 taurus transmission vs 1997 xmission... Thank you in advance. I was hoping to figure out a way to mate the two up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 2001 doesn't show the vss

Sir, what you showed for the 2001 doesn't have a vss in the diagram. Please advise

I don't know the answer, but you have to be concerned that the 97 and 01 VSS's output the same signal to the PCM.

I'll try to remember to look in the transmission manual tonight. Can you confirm engine model and transmission model?

Here is the wiring information (assuming 3.0 VIN U and AX4S transmission):
1997:
http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/Ford/170/WD_Ford_170741.pdf

http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/Ford/170/WD_Ford_170762.pdf

2001:
http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/Ford/128/WD_Ford_128634.pdf

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Sir, what you showed for the 2001 doesn't have a vss in the diagram. Please advise
Both the 97 diagrams show a VSS.

The 2001 calls it an OSS - Output Shaft Speed Sensor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Will this work if I splice this together? I have time Sunday to try. Please any advise on if this will work would be great. I was gonna get jumper wires for the connector on the transmission, and then put them into the connector on the car, and drive and see.. is there any polarity? Looks like a sine wave should be produced, so I would assume no polarity

I tried the jumper and no go... signal is different. makes the odometer 70mph and im really going 10mph... then at 110 on odometer (15 in reality), the car shuts off (limiter) and back on at 100mph (12mph in reality)

after further research, VSS sends out 8000 pulses per mile, and OSS sends out 32000 pulses per mile. I'm hoping that installing this http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/SPEED-CAL-1994-2004-5-SPEED-EXTENDED-RANGE/7626 in-line will cure the issue..

Any one please say i'm correct? (if I"m correct) or should I see if someone can reprogram my PCM?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Will this work if I splice this together? I have time Sunday to try. Please any advise on if this will work would be great. I was gonna get jumper wires for the connector on the transmission, and then put them into the connector on the car, and drive and see.. is there any polarity? Looks like a sine wave should be produced, so I would assume no polarity

I tried the jumper and no go... signal is different. makes the odometer 70mph and im really going 10mph... then at 110 on odometer (15 in reality), the car shuts off (limiter) and back on at 100mph (12mph in reality)

after further research, VSS sends out 8000 pulses per mile, and OSS sends out 32000 pulses per mile. I'm hoping that installing this SPEED-CAL, 1994-2004, 5 SPEED, EXTENDED RANGE :: Transmission Components :: Drivetrain :: Mustang Parts & Accessories Superstore - 1800Mustang in-line will cure the issue..

Any one please say i'm correct? (if I"m correct) or should I see if someone can reprogram my PCM?
I think you are grasping at straws now. I don't think that Speed-Cal thing will work, unless they guarantee the signal differences can be accounted for. Reprogramming the PCM, IMHO, will not work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
well, I found an attempted solution. Thanks for the help and diagrams... Hummingbird Electronics - Electronics solutions for all vehicle types will 100% work, it's a GPS to VSS sensor. $260 but hell I'll spend more than that to have this transmission swapped out again. It is programmable to the 8000 pulses per mile as needed by this car...

I received the item, had a magnetic mount antenna, power ground, hooked up the three and got a solid light, then I drove a little and green light flashes in proportion to the speed.. so far so good.

I hook up to the vss into the car, and no dice.... Can someone tell me if the vss connected to the car has one lead grounded, and one lead pulsed, or are both leads pulsed? The original transmission had a 2 wire connection. Any help would be great. I bought resistors, diodes, capacitors if needed.

I measure 4.5vdc when the gps unit is in test mode (60mph)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thank goodness I didn't give up grasping at straws... I got it to work finally. Works great, cruise control, transmission shifting.. drove w/garmin gps and speeds matched...

Solution was hours of attempts.. but the hummingbird one works like a champ with a 10uF capicitor in line from the output of the hummingbird blue wire, and the oss sensor and vss input ... Great... shifts fine, drove it 50 miles so far... will drive 100 miles round trip tomorrow.. can't wait!!!!!

Here's a wiring diagram i made up to show how i got this to work...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts