Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 1997 mercury sable with a dohc motor,, i took it to my friends shop and the IAC was tested bad on my car , so i went a autozone a bought a duralast IAC ,, first i pulled the neg ground cable off for 15 minutes, put the new iac on the car drove it around 2 days then the next day it was 40 degrees outside let the car warm up a little and driving down the road the idle was way to high at a stop light and had to really hold the brake really hard so the car wouldnt move forward ,, then i drove home took it off the car put the original one iac back on drove back to autozone removed it ,, then called a ford dealer orederd a motorcraft IAC ,, got it in 3 days and got the new motorcraft iac installed it i did pull off the battery cable then installed the new one drove it 3 days and every time i drive it the idles is too low after the car is warmed up ,, so i dont know what to do or tell if its a bad IAC or how reprogram it

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why do you think the idle speed is too low? What is the rpms?
well at idle it idles at 450rpm,, ,,even with the new motorcraft iac i have to put in nuteral because theres a miss at idle it acts like the motors going to die, then even fully warmed up parked i turn off the car then restart the car and its parked and it will idle at 1,000 rpm then the idle back 450 rpm ,,the other iac would idle at 1200 rpm before warmed up which was too high

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The
well at idle it idles at 450rpm,, ,,even with the new motorcraft iac i have to put in nuteral because theres a miss at idle it acts like the motors going to die, then even fully warmed up parked i turn off the car then restart the car and its parked and it will idle at 1,000 rpm then the idle back 450 rpm ,,the other iac would idle at 1200 rpm before warmed up which was too high
PCV on these Bulls are a large part of the idle speed. The PCV and it's hoses.
Been there. Both high and low, and after market PCV caused high idle. Like 30 MPH on level road.
-chart-

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The

PCV on these Bulls are a large part of the idle speed. The PCV and it's hoses.
Been there. Both high and low, and after market PCV caused high idle. Like 30 MPH on level road.
-chart-
i did buy a new motorcraft pcv valve from the ford dealer and a new u shaped motorcraft pcv valve hose, the old hose pulled off way to easy ,, it was a little harder push the new hose on the motor ,, i will check it to make sure its tight on the motor ,, also i sprayed around the motor twice to check for vacumm leaks since its a dohc motor they leak around intake manifold,, i also put a new autozone duralast MAF sencor so how good those brand compared to the motorcraft MAF brand,, next i will be pulling off the egr valve to check to see if its dirty or pluged, i did pull off the air cleaner hose and cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and put a new motorcraft air cleaner,, before when i put a new duralast IAC it idled too high then after that i bought a new motorcraft IAC,, when i start the motor cold in the motor i can smell gas fumes out of the tailpipe then it goes way ,, i did put a new gas filter and running the non ethenol gas with gas treatment, , my friend told me mabe i should have a my injectors cleaned or looked at ,,,also i owned the mercury sable LS for 21 years i bought the car in 2000 with 66,000 miles and around the year 2004 it had 90,000 miles i put new spark plugs it had a miss in the motor and wires mabe they went bad due the age of the parts,the shop put a low millage used motorcraft coil pack since the original one test bad, now i dont drive the car that much it now in 2021 it has only 131,000 miles,, and the transmission was rebuilt in 2006 ,, sorry i said too much here but i dont want to give up on the car yet

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
If there is a miss at idle that is causing your idle issue. I would believe you should get a code if the IAC valve is full open and can't control the idle speed. Also on my 2006 I can remove the IAC valve connector and the car goes to 500 rpm and sits there so that is an idle speed that the car can run at.. The miss could be a vacuum leak and as state by Chartmaker a PCV valve maybe being plugged. Not sure I trust the used Motorcraft coil. You should look for any cracks in the coil, top and bottom.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is a miss at idle that is causing your idle issue. I would believe you should get a code if the IAC valve is full open and can't control the idle speed. Also on my 2006 I can remove the IAC valve connector and the car goes to 500 rpm and sits there so that is an idle speed that the car can run at.. The miss could be a vacuum leak and as state by Chartmaker a PCV valve maybe being plugged. Not sure I trust the used Motorcraft coil. You should look for any cracks in the coil, top and bottom.
was thinking of putting a new motorcraft coil pack , also new wires and plugs ,, they do go bad and because its been 17 years when i tuned it up i dont drive the car that much very far ,,when the car had around 66,600 miles on the car thats when the car ran really ruff and the check engine light was flashing it was the year 2001 when i changed the coil pack to the used motorcraft coil pack wow 20 years ago now the car has 131,000 miles on it,i did read what are the symptoms of a bad coil was a rough idle ,,louder than usual engine which my motor is a little louder at idle,,and another problem i had when time filling up my car it only had a half tank gas ,,,the gas pump kept shutting off ,, i pulled out the nozzle put it back in still having hard time pumping the gas dont know why i had that problem mabe a bad gasoline pump,,, i did change my gas filter,, i wished the coil pack was on the front of the motor instead of back of the motor

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
was thinking of putting a new motorcraft coil pack , also new wires and plugs ,, they do go bad and because its been 17 years when i tuned it up i dont drive the car that much ,,when the car had around 66,600 miles on the car thats when the car ran really ruff and the check engine light was flashing it was the year 2001 when i changed the coil pack to the used motorcraft coil pack wow 20 years ago now the car has 131,000 miles on it,i did read what are the symptoms of a bad coil was a rough idle ,,louder than usual engine which my motor is a little louder at idle,,, i did change my gas filter,, i wished the coil pack was on the front of the motor

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is very strange that two brand new IAC's give such completely different outcomes.

Perhaps you can have a careful look at the IAC cable and connector.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Why do you think the idle speed is too low? What is the rpms?
[/Qi know really how explain it
It is very strange that two brand new IAC's give such completely different outcomes.

Perhaps you can have a careful look at the IAC cable and connector.
[/QUOT
just now i went out and pulled off the new motorcraft iac and put back on the original motorcraft iac and it idles a little higher rpms and still has the miss but at idle was not acting like the car is going to die at a light,, the new iac that i bought from ford i might have to take it back and get it replaced because the idle was lower made the car run ruffer and the flucuate , i have been driving this car for 3 days hoping the computer would relearn it ,, i might take the new one back to ford and exchange the part and try a new one,my friends shop told me when the car is cold turn on the ignition on for 10 minutes to relearn the computer , it didnt help

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
still cant understand why the original motorcraft iac runs better and smother idle then the new motorcraft iac i bought from ford , the one from ford flucuates at idle and theres a miss in the motor, iam still hopefully take it back to the dealer to exchange it out,,

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
still cant understand why the original motorcraft iac runs better and smother idle then the new motorcraft iac i bought from ford , the one from ford flucuates at idle and theres a miss in the motor, iam still hopefully take it back to the dealer to exchange it out
Not sure dealers are willing to take a returned part. You still have to deal with the miss or you may destroy your catalytic convertors.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Not sure dealers are willing to take a returned part. You still have to deal with the miss or you may destroy your catalytic convertors.
Agree, any electric parts are your keepers. I have a spare for the G-4 DOHC. I have 3 now and had previous one. I have a spare from JY. Cleaned and oiled. I have never had a switch make any difference. NONE. Have to be sure the connector is good, gasket is good. My idle issues have been, vacuum leaks, PCV worn or after market PCV crap.
-chart-

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/Q,, they probally wont take it back but thats ok ,, next i made appointment to a ford dealer which only charges 50 dollars to scope out my car i dont want to ruin my car as i have had my 97 sable over 20 years ,, i did replace the MAF sencer with a duralast part which i hope its good part,, the car is not running that bad just idle seams just a little low ,, just little miss in the motor at idle i can feel it

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Why did you replace the MAF sensor? Maybe put the old one back on mainly because most people on the forum call it Durajunk instead of Duralast.
it had 2 codes 1 one was for the iac and the code was for a maf sencor,, the car started up a few seconds then stubled and then died ,, i had 97 sable towed to a shop and tested the parts to be found bad ,, they use autozone and put on the new duralast MAF sencor and i told the shop i wanted a motorcraft IAC ,,so i orded that part my self and put it on the car ,, but it made the run ruffer a very low idle,, i put orginal iac back the car and the car ran a little better but has a little miss ,, i have the DOHC motor,, i did not know how the duralast maf would be since the ford dealer no longer sell the motorcraft MAF sencer,, my plans is to first try find a new motorcraft MAF sencor if i cant find one,,, i dont what brand to trust , if i find one hopefully solves the problem i will have to take it to a ford dealer to put it on a machine

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The misfire needs to be fixed first. That messes with every thing else. And will damage the cats. Most common is the coil, but includes wires and plugs.
And I have had what is the pic twice.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The misfire needs to be fixed first. That messes with every thing else. And will damage the cats. Most common is the coil, but includes wires and plugs.
And I have had what is the pic twice.
-chart-
i also thought about a new coil pack they do go bad, and do the spark plugs and wires,,,, it a little work due the coil pack being on the back side of the motor,, might get qoute on the labor lol,,,,,,,,the car has lots of power now after putting the in the new MAF sencor,,, before the MAF sencor compleatly died it was using a lot of gas ,,after i put the new MAF the gas millage has gotton a little better

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i also thought about a new coil pack they do go bad, and do the spark plugs and wires,,,, it a little work due the coil pack being on the back side of the motor,, might get qoute on the labor lol,,,,,,,,the car has lots of power now after putting the in the new MAF sencor,,, before the MAF sencor compleatly died it was using a lot of gas ,,after i put the new MAF the gas millage has gotton a little better
i was looking at a you tube video on installing a new MAF sencor ,, what is a drive cycle?

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
i was looking at a you tube video on installing a new MAF sencor ,, what is a drive cycle?
Only needed if your battery has been disconnected and the PCM lost it's memory.
OBD-II Monitor Exercised Drive Cycle Procedure
Drive Cycle Preparation overnight resting before starting.
1. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds.
2 Drive at (40 MPH) until ECT is at least (170 F). .
3. Is Inlet Air Temp within (40 to 100 F)? If not stop here.
HEGO
4. Cruise at (40 MPH) for Up To 4 minutes. Executes the HEGO monitor.
EVAP
5 Cruise at (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Gas tank ¼ to ¾ full.
Catalyst
6. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.

EGR
7. From a stop, accelerate to (45 MPH) at ½ to ¾ throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.

SEC AIR/CCM
(Engine)
8. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.

CCM (Trans Auto)
9. From a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at (40 MPH), activate overdrive and accelerate to (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 9 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.

Misfire&Fuel Monitors
10. From a stop, accelerate to (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.
-chart-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts