Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 Taurus driver's window stopped operating today. I have about 65k on the odometer. Of course, rain is expected for the next few days and the window is in the down position. All the others windows are working. Are there individual relays for the each window? I don't know where to begin to check it out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Hold the up button and smack the door hard with your hand. That usually gets the motor working again. It's most likely a bad connection at the switch in the door, or a bad spot in the motor windings.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (silvapain @ Apr 28 2009, 09:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721465
Hold the up button and smack the door hard with your hand. That usually gets the motor working again. It's most likely a bad connection at the switch in the door, or a bad spot in the motor windings.[/b]
Thanks for your reply. I checked relays last night, but mysteriously, the window started working again! Whether I temporarily reconnected a loose connection or got past the flat spot in the windings it's working now. For how long, is another issue. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
313 Posts
There's a relay on the fuse panel that handles the full auto roll-down that goes bad. You can find it by rolling down the window while touching each

QUOTE (lama1410 @ Apr 29 2009, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721696
QUOTE (silvapain @ Apr 28 2009, 09:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721465
Hold the up button and smack the door hard with your hand. That usually gets the motor working again. It's most likely a bad connection at the switch in the door, or a bad spot in the motor windings.[/b]
Thanks for your reply. I checked relays last night, but mysteriously, the window started working again! Whether I temporarily reconnected a loose connection or got past the flat spot in the windings it's working now. For how long, is another issue. Any other suggestions?
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have a similar problem my drivers side rear window will not go up or down when its warm out. Also on both the driver front and rear windows when u hit the button the light dims. The lights dimming only happens on the drivers side anyone know y to either one of these problems

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I had that problem with a rear window on my 04.
Took the drivers side panel off, unplugged all the connections, used some canned air to clean the connectors a bit and used dielectric grease on the connections.
Haven't had a problem in 3 months.
It's worth a try. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
ok i might try it but the main thing i dont get is the drivers rear goes down fine in the winter it just dosent do a thing as soon as the weather warms up it really sucks

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Mine was the other way around, really! :lol2:

·
Registered
754 Posts
QUOTE (lama1410 @ Apr 28 2009, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721414
My '01 Taurus driver's window stopped operating today. I have about 65k on the odometer. Of course, rain is expected for the next few days and the window is in the down position. All the others windows are working. Are there individual relays for the each window? I don't know where to begin to check it out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/b]
If you're getting 12v at the motor when the switch is engaged...you need a new motor. In my experience, the motors become intermittant when they're dying. Ditto for door lock actuators.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Unplug the wire harness from the power window main switch on the drivers door, clean up the cnnnections on both sides and place some dielectric grease in there. :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
QUOTE (mscottc @ Apr 30 2009, 06:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722047
ok thanks but i still dont get why it only works when its cold ie winter[/b]
Possible there is a internal thermistor (thermal resistor...its heat sensitive) in the motor that is failing. It prevents motor burnout if someone holds down the switch. That could conceivably be repaired by shorting across the resistor or just replacing it. Someone here has probably disassembled one and attempted a fix.

stolen from mr. google:
The most reported symptom of the window motor dying is that the motor will stop when attempting to raise the window. After a minute or less and you try it again, it will go up some more and stop. The cycle repeats until you can get the window fully up. Usually the longer you wait between tries, the farther it will go up at a time. The motor has an internal electronic circuit breaker (thermal resistor) that will heat up and trip when the motor is overloaded (either by just being worn out or from trying to overcome mechanical drag). This causes it to have to "rest" before it will go up some more.

I did a quick search:

http://nikon.250free.com/window/index.htm

Its not our window motor but the general idea is the same.

Also have a looky here:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1/bl660.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Two Stooges @ May 1 2009, 02:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722157
QUOTE (mscottc @ Apr 30 2009, 06:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722047
ok thanks but i still dont get why it only works when its cold ie winter[/b]
Possible there is a internal thermistor (thermal resistor...its heat sensitive) in the motor that is failing. It prevents motor burnout if someone holds down the switch. That could conceivably be repaired by shorting across the resistor or just replacing it. Someone here has probably disassembled one and attempted a fix.

stolen from mr. google:
The most reported symptom of the window motor dying is that the motor will stop when attempting to raise the window. After a minute or less and you try it again, it will go up some more and stop. The cycle repeats until you can get the window fully up. Usually the longer you wait between tries, the farther it will go up at a time. The motor has an internal electronic circuit breaker (thermal resistor) that will heat up and trip when the motor is overloaded (either by just being worn out or from trying to overcome mechanical drag). This causes it to have to "rest" before it will go up some more.

I did a quick search:

http://nikon.250free.com/window/index.htm

Its not our window motor but the general idea is the same.

Also have a looky here:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1/bl660.htm
[/b][/quote]
ford had a recall on those years reguarding sticky windows they recommended siliconong the rubber on the side of the windows because it became sticky and like glue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts