Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I just took my car into Firestone to get the tires rotated and they said both my inner tie rods are loose and need replaced. They quoted me $330 to replace both and do an alignment. I am curious if this is a job I could do myself? If it is, how hard would it be? Also, how long can I expect before one or both of them breaks since they're loose now?

Thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jan 21 2004, 07:42 PM
How Do you check these and what are the symptoms
I'm not sure how to check them, I'm just going by what Firestone told me. I do have a vibration in my steering accompanied by a thumping noise. During low speed manuvers, I hear a lot of creaking and what sounds like my wheel rubbing on something (it's not literally hitting anything though). I'm pretty sure tie rods are a common issue on these cars. Anyone else have any info/experience they'd like to share?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the left inner tie rod replaced on my car while I was in auto shop. You can check them by jacking up the car(not at the control arms) to unload the suspension and then grab the inner tie rod and try to wobble it, if you have any play in the tie rod you need to get it replaced. You can remove and replace it yourself with a large enough crow foot wrench or a special tube-like tool that is made to remove inner tie rods. You'll need an alignment after replacing it and those run about $60-70. The tie rod themselves run about $20. I got mine at the ford dealer for $20 so you're looking about $100 for the whole thing if you do it yourself. I beleive kragen or autozone will loan you the tools for free.

J

·
0 Posts
An alignment, in my area, would cost no more than $40 - whether at teh stealership or at another local or chain shop. I supposedly ruined a tie rod when I slid into a curb last week - but the estimate/bill I have doesn't have the tie rod repair itemized, so I don't know how much they charged for it, if it was ruined - they just said that in their preliminary estimate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by jason8225@Jan 22 2004, 08:34 AM
An alignment, in my area, would cost no more than $40 - whether at teh stealership or at another local or chain shop. 
Yeah that's what I was thinking an alignment would run. Stupid Firestone wants $70 for one - that's like the cost of a 4 wheel alignment. There's no way I'd let them do my tie rods anyway. The only reason I get my tires rotated there is b/c it's free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts