Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all could anyone point me in the right direction in the Haynes manual for inner tie rod removal. Or does anyone have any ideas ? Any tricks or helpful hints would be appreciated

·
Registered
414 Posts
In Haynes 10.22 only the removal of the Rack and Pinion is described. They apparently assume you replace the whole unit. And so does Rockauto that only sells the whole unit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rockauto does sell the inner tie rods.

Theoretically, the proper procedure is to hold the rack itself with a special tool while loosening the inner tie rod ends. Some manufacturers have flats which you can use to hold the rack, and apply a counter torque while working on the tie rods themselves. Most people don't do that, though, and as far as I know, tauruses don't have flats for that. Inner tie rods are torqued at about 100 ft-lbs, which puts a lot of stress on the inner rack components. Again, seems most people do the job without causing issue with the rack and pinion.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Removing the inner tie rod is not a big issue. You need to remove the boot which is held on by those stainless crimp clamps and replaced by a tiewrap. When removing the boot there is a 1/4 inch tube that vents the air from the one boot to the other. This tube just slips into each boot and sometimes falls loose. I have done five or six of these and the old ones were pop riveted to the rack but the newer ones aren't, just Loctited in place.

On my 2006 I needed to cut the unibody a little to get the socket on the tierod but maybe it was all relative to the position of the rack to one side or the other. I never had a issue on my other 4 Taurus.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headlamp Automotive wheel system Gas
Automotive tire Fixture Gas Auto part Machine
Tire Wheel Light Automotive tire Tread
Outerwear Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tartan Sleeve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys I ended up using a bit of a crude fix, so I used a 36mm socket and gave her a few bangs with a ball pean hammer, got it to slide up and bite into the softer metal ball of the inner and then put my ratchet on the socket and cranked er ever so slowly till she gave. Thanks for all the replies, this is a great place to find answers!!

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Hey guys I ended up using a bit of a crude fix, so I used a 36mm socket and gave her a few bangs with a ball pean hammer, got it to slide up and bite into the softer metal ball of the inner and then put my ratchet on the socket and cranked er ever so slowly till she gave. Thanks for all the replies, this is a great place to find answers!!
Pic of my tool and last one done. OE had full hex on the nut, so my replacement from RA made sure it had full hex so I could use my tool. Extension is length of pipe with square ground on to fit 3/4" drive socket. I think this thing goes back to rear wheel drive LTD's with rack and pinion.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pic of my tool and last one done. OE had full hex on the nut, so my replacement from RA made sure it had full hex so I could use my tool. Extension is length of pipe with square ground on to fit 3/4" drive socket. I think this thing goes back to rear wheel drive LTD's with rack and pinion.
-chart-
Sure makes the job a heck of a lot easier!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts