Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am replacing the inner tie rods on my 2002 Taurus SES 12V OHV and I just finished taking off the passenger side inner tie rod. When I got the boot off, a little green horse shoe looking plastic piece (a horseshoe clip perhaps?) came out. I have no idea where it was situated, what it is or whether I need to put it back in with the new tie rod.

Can someone help identify this piece. I have attached pictures(one of both sides of the piece).

Also, two questions:

What is the recommended torque on the inner tie rod to rack connection and the castle nut on the outer tie rod?

Is it a requirement to lower the engine sub-frame to prevent the rack from turning. And how does one go about this?

Many thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Outer tie rod castle nut: 35-46 ft/lbs. Tighten to the minimum, then tighten to align cotter pin hole. Fwiw, ive never torqued either, nor did anything special to keep the rack from turning when loosening or tightening. Make sure vent tube is in place and get an alignment afterwards. Dunno about your green horseshoes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outer tie rod castle nut: 35-46 ft/lbs. Tighten to the minimum, then tighten to align cotter pin hole. Fwiw, ive never torqued either, nor did anything special to keep the rack from turning when loosening or tightening. Make sure vent tube is in place and get an alignment afterwards. Dunno about your green horseshoes?
Thank you for the torque settings. Do you know the inner torque amounts?

theyre after me lucky charms!!!! lol... i dont ever remember seeing a horse shoe anywhere on an inner.
I wonder if they were circular originally, as in, went completely around the shaft of the rack and acted as a damper between the end of the inner tie rod and the rack. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i remember when i did a geo metro yearssssss ago it had a plastic washer that went in between the rack and tie rod end. but as far as i can remember that was the only car that ive ever seen it on. let me look at something il et you know what i find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i remember when i did a geo metro yearssssss ago it had a plastic washer that went in between the rack and tie rod end. but as far as i can remember that was the only car that ive ever seen it on. let me look at something il et you know what i find.
Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On motorcraft.com, there is a part number for this piece. N807853-S

It is also a horseshoe shaped piece. Unfortunately, you cannot order it from them. It fits over the rack shaft I believe.

I am going to just put that back in for now. Hopefully it will not screw anything up!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
would that be a seal??? im lost on this one... i would look at the opening of the rack and see if there is a seal that should be there. it seems that the pic of the horse shoe has a ridge on it..

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Rack

Hello all,

I am replacing the inner tie rods on my 2002 Taurus SES 12V OHV and I just finished taking off the passenger side inner tie rod. When I got the boot off, a little green horse shoe looking plastic piece (a horseshoe clip perhaps?) came out. I have no idea where it was situated, what it is or whether I need to put it back in with the new tie rod.

Can someone help identify this piece. I have attached pictures(one of both sides of the piece).

Also, two questions:

What is the recommended torque on the inner tie rod to rack connection and the castle nut on the outer tie rod?

Is it a requirement to lower the engine sub-frame to prevent the rack from turning. And how does one go about this?

Many thanks!
I have done inners way back, maybe on a '88.
I would not do it again. I would buy a rebuilt rack first.

If I remember, there is a pin in the nut that keeps it from un-screwing. Have to shear it to get it off.

If it has been used enough to losen the inner tie rod, then the rack is well down it's life also.

Just my op.

-chart-

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Please check the date before you post. This thread hasn't been commented on in four years. Please refrain from bumping dormant threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.