Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really thinking about doing this mod real quick, but I'd love some opinions first.

What is the best type/brand of inline transmission fluid filters? I'm looking for best filteration with the best flowrate, with easy of changeability important, but a distant third.

What is the best type/brand of transmission radiator? I'm not going for two-radiator method, I'd rather seperate it completely from the engine's coolant radiator. After looking around, would a unit that comes with a thermastat and fan for the radiator be useful for when the car is at slow speeds, or is that a scam?

Oh, I have a digital camera, know how to use it, and will document the process when I work on it.
I'll start on it ASAP, while I wait for Bob to PM me back on FSTB details.

-Nomadic Dragon

BTW, anyone else having trouble using anondamotorsports.com? I get the menu bar, but nothign in the main window, ever.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Get the magnefine filter in the 1/2" size. You can get them at www.bulkparts.com

Get 3/8" to 1/2" adapters from www.mcmaster.com. Get the stainless steel ones. Very thin and a true 3/8" ID. Not so with most hose adapters.

I would also leave the radiator cooler intake and connect the AUX cooler after the radiator.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Is the 1/2 size filter really better than the 3/8, or is it just the connection sizeon the ends of the filter? They look the same in the pictures, but I could be wrong. I would think that just purchasing the 3/8 would save a lot of trouble.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
One thing the ford ATXs are very sensitive to is pressure drop. If you put a filter with a 3/8" OD nipple in a 3/8" ID hose what you have done is reduced your hose down to ~5/16" IMHO the added hassle of getting the 3/8" x 1/2" thin wall hose connectors AND a cooler that has 1/2" inputs and exits is well worth the trouble.

Be aware that most standard 3/8" hose reducers are no better than the 3/8" filter inlets. That is why I recommended the stainless steel thin wall connector/reducers found at www.mcmaster.com

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
OK, that makes sense. It all pretty much has to do with aerodynamics of the hose and connectors, not the filter. I tryed to find a magnefine filter locally here in South Florida and people looked at me like I was crazy. This is the same look I got when I wanted to put KYB struts on my Grand Am a few years back. They think if it isn't a sports car, it doesn't need it. I hate clueless, sales clerks that have no desire to help someone.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Magnefine's online distributor

That's where I got my Magnefines, b/c it was the one that Magnefine's sales director told me about when I spoke with him on the phone. Later, I found out that Bulkpart.com has the filters a lot cheaper. Ah well, maybe I'll do better in another 12,381 miles when I'm due for another ATF change.

For the ATX cooler, I always recommend the B&M SuperCooler, or a similar stacked-plate design. I use the 19,000GVW SuperCooler. Run a search in the Archives, and you will find many in-depth discussions on exactly how to plumb up both the cooler and the filter.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I searched www.mcmaster.com for the hose adapters, but I'm not sure which ones you are refering to SHOZ123.

I used the "Find" tool and searched for "hose adapters". I found some stainless ones, but I'm still not sure which ones.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Apr 1 2004, 04:55 AM
Part number 5670K43
Thanks. I was looking at something else wondering why these were not catagorized with them.

dang... they have a ton of stuff!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try to take some pics tomorrow morning. It took so long for anyone to respond that I went out to Autozone and bought the best-looking cooler I could...which just happens to be one of the ones mentioned in various places on the forum.
Already installed, but I didn't take any pictures because so many of the angles were so horrible, I could barely reach with my hands, let along with a camera.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Hey SHOZ123, I am not sure exactly which adapters that are needed. That website has hundreds of those things.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Apr 22 2004, 06:28 PM
Hey SHOZ123, I am not sure exactly which adapters that are needed. That website has hundreds of those things.
I listed the part number. What do you want me to do? Buy it and bring it to your house?????????

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123+Apr 22 2004, 11:37 PM-->QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Apr 22 2004, 11:37 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-sfblacksel
@Apr 22 2004, 06:28 PM
Hey SHOZ123, I am not sure exactly which adapters that are needed.  That website has hundreds of those things.
I listed the part number. What do you want me to do? Buy it and bring it to your house????????? [/b]
HAHAHA....

sfblacksel:

Look above. The part number is correct. I purchased 2 of them. Total was about $3.50 and shipping was $6.50!!!!!! So it cost about $10.

Thanks again SHOZ123

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts

Damn I must of scrolled down too far and missed a crap load of posts. Anyways, thanks for all the help, I need all I can get sometimes. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts