Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01' and need to know what size inlet I need to get on my flowmaster muffler. I have searched, but I'm half retarded. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I also plan on getting a new tip, and I doubt it would come with the needed hanger, how do I hang it so it dosen't just drag? Can I buy a hanger, or am I going to end up going to a muffler shop? Again thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong guys/gals but I think the gen 4 uses 2.25".

My 99' was 2" O.D. or there about. I ended up getting a 2" O.D. adapter and stretching it a little to make it fit becasue a 2" I.D. adapter was too big. I also had to use a 1 7/8" clamp because 2" was too big. The Flowmaster 40 I have is 2.5" in and 2.5" out, so I had to use an adapter. If you buy a muffler, the pipe size spec is given in I.D. and it may be too big, so will have to buy an adapter anyway.

The tip won't come with a hanger. You have 2 choices. The first is to cut the stock hanger off and have it rewelded to your new muffler (preferred). The second is to buy one of the clamp on hangers, twist the metal strap 90*, and bolt it where the stock plastic hanger is. I did the latter because I had to keep the budget low and I don't have access to a welder. You can't see the hanger so no one knows the difference. As for the hanger on the front side of the muffler (toward the front of the car) I fashoned one myself. Works great and again isn't noticable. Both aren't going anywhere either.

BTW, I would go with a 50 or 60 series. I like the 40, but it's louder than I like.

Hope that helps.

-Nate

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never herd of a clamp on hanger, where can I buy one?

·
Registered
193 Posts
You can get them at any Autozone/Pepboys/Advance Auto Parts. They sell a couple of different kind of hangers. They aren't stanless so they will rust.

I am trying to get you a pic or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts