Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i keep getting mixed results on my searches. so does anyone know for a fact what ford injectors will fit the vulcan? I've finished my tuning but my stock injectors are taking a beating. i wouldlike to go bigger but again my stuck on a wife and kid friendly budget. so what are my options? my local yard sells injectors for three bucks a piece and ive got my choice from the tec family 3.8 and 3.8 split port as well as a host of other fords. i know the wire harness on teh tec is different but i can snag the pig tails for no extra charge. my questions though are what will phisically fit not fry my ecm or tweecer and will deliver more fuel so i can cut my duty cycle down a pretty good bit? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Bigger isn't always better. See this: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/80291-vulcan-fuel-injectors.html

Bigger injectors won't give you more power unless you've being limited by them (dirty or you upgraded your intake). Most engines are designed so that air is the limiting factor. If you go too big, the ECM won't be happy and you might have idle problems or fuel trim codes.

Compatible injector part #'s
F47E-A2D
F47E-A2E
F47Z-A

You can get them from a Taurus, Aerostar, Ranger, or Windstar with the 3.0 OHV engine in the 95-97 year range.

Other than that, I have no idea what other injectors would fit. You can try it out and see. Hopefully your fuel trims don't get too far out of whack.

BTW, RockAuto has a closeout on the OEM injectors for about $17/ea right now. Good deal IMHO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
everything on my top end is flowing more. the stock injectors arent limiting me yet, but they are getitng close. for my stock injectors that are only 2 months old to keep up they are at almost 100% i dont like it. i would rather stuff in a bigger injector cut back my duty cycle and let them live a little longer. and im not looking for more power. my engine is puttin out all that it can put out. but i have been considering putting one of my eaton M-90s on it. so bigger injectors would help with that too.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Sorry to lecture you. I didn't know you had top-end mods and you were actually monitoring duty cycle. Shoot for about 80-85% duty cycle at top end. Unfortunately I don't know the # rating for the stock injectors either.

You might want to check your rail fuel pressure as well if the injectors are having trouble. I think you want to keep above 30-35 psi at idle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont fret. your answer was very informative none the less. i should have listed my mods but didnt. that was my fault. but as stated thank you. the link was a great help. as far as my injectors are concerned as long as the will fit the hole and the resistance is right (dont wanna fry the ecm or tweecer) i can mod the harness. i would like to stick with injectors that are stock to some ford vehicle for ease of replacement in the event of failure.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The injectors for the flex fuel model vulcan are bigger I believe due to the fact you have to inject ethonal 1/3 more than gasoline, you may want to check into that... Ford Part# YF1Z9F593GA. The NON-Flex Fuel is Ford Part# YF1Z9F593FA.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that seems like an excellent fix. im not sure if they are any ffv cars out there but ill check. the local pull a part is nuts. bulls went super popular around here for a few years now chrysler seems to be king. doesnt matter though because our pull a part has 22 bulls with less than 60,000 miles and they were all driven into the yard!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wish ford had a better fueling strategy. i love the fuzzy logic systems on the mopars. they can actually learn your mods just shy of forced induction so the need for programming is only for those with rediculous mods or those seeking to optimize the stock setup with out physical mods. but ive ran into several check engine lights because of that fragdaglin MAF sensor. (pcm) OHH NOOOOS!!THE MAF SAYS IM FLOWIN 7.2 LBS AIR BUT MY TP IS ONLY 25.6%!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! (check engine light) hey man that idiot ECMs wiggin out again you need to let him know your TB is bigger than it used to be.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I would think the SLO computer is similiar to the SHO computer but on the SHO I had every bolt on including cams and it was able to adjust accordingly.

The CPU doesn't need to know the TB size.

the only thing you have to watch for on the MAF is that you don't touch the housing or if you use a different MAF you have the right fuel curve.

What mods do you have that would peg out the injectors and are you running a wide band?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
port/polish bigger valves cant recall the size :( 1.75:1 rollers sheet metal intake split port TB + MAF custom headers true dual 3" exhaust with an X pipe with turn downs 3.5" autozone fart cans no emissions controll. 17 degrees advance at idle ramping up to 34 degrees at 5000 drawin off three MSD blaster two tower coils(slight wiring mod for that one). and yup got wide band says im runnin primo all the way up to redline. just really taxing my injectors to do it.

my cam is base ground a morana racing cam is on my wish list.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wish that were true. every time ive changed something ive had to tell the ecm so it would turn that fraggin CEL off. started with the bigger TB. the computer wigged out because the MAF was reading more than it should have for that given throttle position, so it throws a lean code. and its been taht way from the start. new mod = new program.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Just as an aside, what would happen if I put the 24# injectors from a police model 3.8 into a normal 3.8 and swapped the PCM out as well?

I have a feeling that it would be alright except for the final drive ratio on the transmission.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i thought that too, but my ecm reads too much air flow for a given throttle position and assumes that something is wrong would throw an occasional MAF fault untill i reflashed it for the larger TB. i swear this thin ran better with the ported MAF.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Photo's

Would love to see pics of this intake system - thought I had about the most free flowing top end of any SLO going but if his set-up is as stated it may out flow mine. Who built your headers?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i did all the work and fabbing myself. i dont trust other people with my car. ill ahve to borrow a digicam or buy one to get some pics up, but i did finally find my issue with my injectors. the diaphragm in my FPR had a crack. it would hole up as long as manifold pressure was dropping, like on a dyno run where i was doing all my testing and tuning, but on a long run the regulator would bleed down and the fuel pressure would drop. and thats why i was having to retune so much after a long drive. the lower pressure meant having to run a higher duty cycle to get the needed fuel. i still wanna go with larger injectors though just for the flexibility in tuning.
i'm still fighting the urge to install one of my GM style M90s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just noticed a misprint. i dont have a split TB i have a split port 3.8 TB. i dont know how i managed leave that out lol, i do have a split bore TB but its GM and the idle air bypass inst compatible with the ford system.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if it was me i would install the super charger. 1 you dont see it, 2 bragging rights, 3 its just plain cool, 4 looking in the rear view and seeing the face of the guy you just smoked off the line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts