Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a little background:

I bought a 2000 Taurus SEL from a dealership last November, but it only had 1 key. Up until now I've just been living dangerously with the 1 key.

About a month ago I bought the BAFX ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter, just to have for check engine lights, and to use with the Torque app on my phone to show me the engine performance data. I got it for $23.99 w/free shipping on ebay.

Last week I was reading on this site about the FORScan software, so I thought "What the heck" and downloaded it. It paired effortlessly with the BAFX adapter, and I noticed the software said it could handle PATS key programming, so I went to ebay and got 2 blank PATS keys for $17.95 w/free shipping.

The keys arrived today, so I took them to my local hardware store and got them cut for $1 each.

As a safety precaution, I used FORScan to add the new keys in, without erasing all keys, just to make sure it could really do it. Both keys added with no problem. I noticed that even though I only had the 1 key to begin with, the software reported that 3 keys were stored in memory, so there were 2 keys out there "in the wild". After finishing, the software reported 5 keys stored in memory, so I felt pretty good about everything, and let the software erase all keys, then added my original plus the 2 new ones back in.

No issues at all, and now I've got 3 working keys, for a grand total of $43.94. Beats the heck out of what a dealer or locksmith would charge, plus I can use the OBD2 adapter just to display interesting engine data as I'm driving.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Yes, FORScan is a beast of software... Lots of insider information from that Russian or Ukrainian guy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but very helpful as I'm going to be programming keys this week!

·
Registered
359 Posts
So you used FORScan to erase all and relearn the keys you had?

Good to know that works, you've got some balls

I didn't want to be the guinea pig for that, and wind up having to get a tow to someone with an IDS should it not work

Good to know...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but very helpful as I'm going to be programming keys this week!

One thing to note is that according to the programming instructions, you cant add keys with only 1 present in Forscan, you have to erase all keys and then add all keys you want back in. Not sure why OP was able to add 2 before erasing all but YMMV it seems.

I was going to do what he did but found out how cheap lock smiths are, total was 65 dollars, I brought all my own keys, they cut my 3 keys and programmed my single original key and 3 new keys in.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have to erase the keys to add a second with Auto Enginuity as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing to note is that according to the programming instructions, you cant add keys with only 1 present in Forscan, you have to erase all keys and then add all keys you want back in. Not sure why OP was able to add 2 before erasing all but YMMV it seems.

I was going to do what he did but found out how cheap lock smiths are, total was 65 dollars, I brought all my own keys, they cut my 3 keys and programmed my single original key and 3 new keys in.
Thank for the heads up, I will be doing mine this week. I have the advantage of working at a dealer so if I somehow mess it up one of the techs can bail me out.

I could just have one of them do it for me anyway, but where's the fun in that!

Having a great time playing around with Forscan...

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts

The dealer can also be cheap too. I bought my own key and just had the dealer program the new key. They only charged me a 1/2 hour of labor although a few others mentioned that they wanted an hour. At the time that was only around $40. They were done in 15 minutes, took several more minutes just to get the paperwork and pay for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great Information

OK, a little background:

I bought a 2000 Taurus SEL from a dealership last November, but it only had 1 key. Up until now I've just been living dangerously with the 1 key.

About a month ago I bought the BAFX ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter, just to have for check engine lights, and to use with the Torque app on my phone to show me the engine performance data. I got it for $23.99 w/free shipping on ebay.

Last week I was reading on this site about the FORScan software, so I thought "What the heck" and downloaded it. It paired effortlessly with the BAFX adapter, and I noticed the software said it could handle PATS key programming, so I went to ebay and got 2 blank PATS keys for $17.95 w/free shipping.

The keys arrived today, so I took them to my local hardware store and got them cut for $1 each.

As a safety precaution, I used FORScan to add the new keys in, without erasing all keys, just to make sure it could really do it. Both keys added with no problem. I noticed that even though I only had the 1 key to begin with, the software reported that 3 keys were stored in memory, so there were 2 keys out there "in the wild". After finishing, the software reported 5 keys stored in memory, so I felt pretty good about everything, and let the software erase all keys, then added my original plus the 2 new ones back in.

No issues at all, and now I've got 3 working keys, for a grand total of $43.94. Beats the heck out of what a dealer or locksmith would charge, plus I can use the OBD2 adapter just to display interesting engine data as I'm driving.
I use the OBD2
plug-in dongles along with the Torque Pro App regularly. I leave them plugged in on all of Our Fords. At work, I am assigned to a E450 Cut-Away Chassis Cab Mobile Intensive Care Unit as a Critical Care Paramedic and I keep a dongle in My jump bag to plug in to the OBD port should the squad start acting weird. And My crew has the nerve to accuse Me of having OCD....pfft. :rolleyes2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.