Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Transmission lightly jerks car when light throttle is applied when in 4th, shifting into 3rd. THis is only if I only give it a tiny bit more gas.

Mashing the pedal shifts it in third, or letting off keeps it in 4th.

What is this indicative of? Failing torque converter? Transmission wearing out?

Tranny has an external tranny cooler, and car has 120k miles. Recently replaced the tranny filter around 90k, and added No-slip transmission fluid.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sounds like normal operation of the TC lockup. That light "jerk" is the TC unlocking.

What speed is this occurring at?

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
^^^^ +1

Sounds like Fords wonderful shift scheduling and TC lockup scheduling at work here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... so just lock it out of 4th in town?

if this is normal operation, just push a little harder?

***this isn't indicative of eventual failure / damage / parts wearing out?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Mediarocker::: this occurs at speeds less than 40mph, engine revs > 1.9k

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Mine does the same thing and the tranny was just rebuilt with a shift improvement kit. It was just as indecisive before the rebuild, but the shifts were slower(which made them less obvious). I think the shift program was written by a summer intern after a night of hard partying. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Hopefully that 'no-slip' fluid does not have 'seal conditioners' in it. They soften all the rubber seals-not good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the shift program was written by a summer intern after a night of hard partying.
Yesterday I was discussing my recent transmission odyssey with a friend of mine in the industry, and how I thought the shifting and controls were a bit unsophisticated, and this is what he told me:

I actually know the guy that programmed the powertrain PC’s on most of Fords cars 1990-2002. He was a HS dropout, who smoked a lot of weed. All he’d do is sit in his room and play with computers.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yesterday I was discussing my recent transmission odyssey with a friend of mine in the industry, and how I thought the shifting and controls were a bit unsophisticated, and this is what he told me:

I actually know the guy that programmed the powertrain PC’s on most of Fords cars 1990-2002. He was a HS dropout, who smoked a lot of weed. All he’d do is sit in his room and play with computers.
I was just guessing.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts