Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

I have a new issue :( on my 1998 Taurus... The problem is that I turn on the car and the rpm start to increase, 2000, 3000... Until I turn the engine off. Restart the engine and it is fine... This happen occasionally, and I'm not touching the gas pedal.
Start to drive it, and everything is fine, I don't feel any loss of power... Until I stop and shift in P, the rpm increase. But I turn off the engine. This happen occasionally.
Yesterday I was driving around and I stop for a traffic light, and the rpm start to increase. That was the first time I didn't happen when the gear was in P o N.

Do you think is a transmission problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Rpm

Hello guys!

I have a new issue :( on my 1998 Taurus... The problem is that I turn on the car and the rpm start to increase, 2000, 3000... Until I turn the engine off. Restart the engine and it is fine... This happen occasionally, and I'm not touching the gas pedal.
Start to drive it, and everything is fine, I don't feel any loss of power... Until I stop and shift in P, the rpm increase. But I turn off the engine. This happen occasionally.
Yesterday I was driving around and I stop for a traffic light, and the rpm start to increase. That was the first time I didn't happen when the gear was in P o N.

Do you think is a transmission problem?

Thanks!
Only thing that can rev the engine on it's own is the IAC valve. And if the engine loses it's way somtimes it can rev in "N" and it can rev just driving along. I had it happen in a '91 Lin Cont. Under warrenty. They replaced the TPS. They said back then, if the signal is lost, it defaults to max open on the IAC. It can give you quite a scare if it runs away on cruise downhill. Then braking is hard because the engine if pulling. Shutting it off and restarting cleared it but it would return when ever it wanted to ran away. New TPS fixed it.

Had a similar thing with '85 LTD but I had a hard time fixing it. Seemed to do that when I hit a bump at speed. Found loose connection on TPS connector. It was an old car.

Good luck

-chart-

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

With TPS you mean Throttle Position Sensor? And IAC Idle Air Control?
I will check the connections of both, and after start to replace parts...

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Rpm

Thank you for the reply!

With TPS you mean Throttle Position Sensor? And IAC Idle Air Control?
I will check the connections of both, and after start to replace parts...
The IAC default is closed, thus it would cause the idle to not be controlled, but at a low rpm or just die.

The TPS is hard to check, maybe not practical, especially if it has occasional loss of signal.

-chart-

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So or I should take it to my mechanic, or I can try to go a the junk yard and search each one (IAC and TPS) take home and swap one at time. And see if it does have the same issue...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts