Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a gen2 sable w/ 3.0l engine. I'm trying to identify what I could do to increase horsepower. More specifically, I'm looking for cheap(er) ways ;)

Any suggestions?

Short of an engine drop (though, I wonder how much an SHO motor of that year would be...), what could I do? Small things like; replace the spark plugs, wires, cap + rotor; creatively think up some type of cold air intake; hope to God my O2 sensor is messed up; etc etc

So yeah, I'm looking for any type of ideas others have done first hand.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I tune-up and a torque strap would be pretty cheap to do to gain some more power. You could do a cold air intake. Some say it works, while others say it doesn't unless you go very fast. I would recommend a K&N. Even if you don't notice a power increse, it does give you better mileage. It's kinda pricey (normally $40-50), but I got mine online brand new for about $35 (with free shipping).

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
CAI: I made one for about $40 out of PVC. I have an autotap, and the ambient air sensor is always 3-4 degrees WARMER than the IAT sensor when the car is moving, it SLOWLY creeps up when the car is stopped, but quickly cools back down.

CAI DOES work, I just wish I could test it on someone that has a stock air intake.

Every 10 degrees hotter = 1 hp loss

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by Kermit@May 29 2004, 05:31 PM
CAI: I made one for about $40 out of PVC. I have an autotap, and the ambient air sensor is always 3-4 degrees WARMER than the IAT sensor when the car is moving, it SLOWLY creeps up when the car is stopped, but quickly cools back down.

CAI DOES work, I just wish I could test it on someone that has a stock air intake.

Every 10 degrees hotter = 1 hp loss
So, your CAI cools the air below ambient?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
*Incorrect.. read on because I am an Idiot...* It does this through the "velocity" of the air faster air is cooler.

·
Registered
114 Posts
its fairly cheap for new turbo mufflers or some type of free flowing mufflers, the general consensus seems to be that flowmaster 40s are great for these cars, I tend to agree. Cutting out the intake silencer will help with your power at higher RPMs when the engine is drawing in more air. I really only see help from my cold air intake at speed but they are cheap to make so go for it. It isnt much of a difference but the price is right. Sometimes its good to splurge though, most mods that increase power also increase gas milage, for every extra mile to the gallon you get, you are saving $150+ a year if you drive as much as an average person.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea of the pipe size (to the muffler)? Just so I know which muffler size to buy.

Thanks!

(1995 Sable, 3.0)

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by sv25@Jun 2 2004, 08:52 PM
Any idea of the pipe size (to the muffler)? Just so I know which muffler size to buy.

Thanks!

(1995 Sable, 3.0)
I believe they are 2.25 inch.

You can also go 2.5 inch if youre unsure.

-DC

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
They are definitly 2"

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by Kermit@Jun 2 2004, 09:13 PM
It does this through the "velocity" of the air faster air is cooler.
I must have ditched Physics class the day they taught that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by madness_spirit@Jun 2 2004, 09:22 PM
...for every extra mile to the gallon you get, you are saving $150+ a year if you drive as much as an average person.
Bit of an overestimate. I come up with about $50-60 depending on your gas mileage.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by Kermit@Jun 2 2004, 08:13 PM
It does this through the "velocity" of the air faster air is cooler.
This is an incorrect statement, The idea is that a CAI sucks air from the fenderwell, air what has not been taindted by underhood heat.

By the way, for the money, you will pick up lots with one of our chips or reflashes. You can go to the EEC board to see hwo much one of your members picked up with one of our chips. The dyno sheets are posted. We have also shown excellent gains onthe SHO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I put a cherry bomb on mine and it goes from a 2.5 inch after the exhaust manifold to the pre-muffler then to 2.25 inch pipe so i would prolly run 2.5 inch all the way back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts