Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 Ford Taurus with 3.0 liter engine, Vin U.
I ran out of gas recently, and ever since then the engine has not been running correctly, and produces codes 1152 and 1132. I've replaced the O2 sensors (had over 100k on them anyway) and the MAF, same problem.

In neutral, the engine will surge between 800rpm and 1000rpm, sometimes wants to stall. Runs better when in drive, but still has a slight surge and stumble.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm guessing fuel economy is very bad too. Those codes mean the O2 sensors are both pegged rich. Are they current codes or stored codes? It's very odd that running a pump dry will cause a rich condition, usually if the pump is damaged it produces too little fuel. The codes popped before replacing the O2 and MAF sensors, right?

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Might remove and clean up the iac (idle air control) with throttle body spray cleaner and see if that helps. Its the silver cannister sitting on top the plenum just behind the throttle body.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing fuel economy is very bad too. Those codes mean the O2 sensors are both pegged rich. Are they current codes or stored codes? It's very odd that running a pump dry will cause a rich condition, usually if the pump is damaged it produces too little fuel. The codes popped before replacing the O2 and MAF sensors, right?
Yes, the codes are current, and were there prior to changing the sensors.

I did clean the IAC, but no help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Check your fuel filter. Sometimes sentiment from the gas tank will clog the filter when tank goes empty. Also (I had this happen) make sure your AC is charged because if not the compressor will cycle on and off making the RPM's jump up & down. Thats summer or winter weather. The AC compressor still cycles to keep it lubricated. Good luck.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
fuel pressure regulator too. hopefully the 00 still has one and hasn't resorted to the regulator in the fuel pump, which would be expensive if bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
00 went to a returnless system, and doesnt have a traditional FPR on the rail, it has a fuel pressure sensor on the rail. I am sure they can leak fuel into the intake via the vac reference line also, like commonly happend with the FPRs on the return type systems, but I personally have never heard of one leaking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these things. I have some additional information:

I used a new scan tool and the freeze frame DTC shows code P0172, and there are four stored codes. P0172, P0175, P1132 and P1152.

I recall also, when I refilled the tank and started the car, there was a sort of "pop" and a strong smell of gasoline in the engine compartment. The odor has not returned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is some additional information.

I used a another scan tool and it showed freeze frame DTC of P0172.
The other trouble codes are P0175, P1132 and P1152.

Also, after refilling the tank, I am certain I heard a "pop" sound and then a strong odor of gasoline in the engine compartment. Hasn't happened since.

Also, the problem is intermittent now. There are times when it is idling stable, and other times, it will vary, almost to the point of stalling.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
172 and 175, are rich codes, and 1132 and 1152 are O2 stuck at rich, not switching. These are usually easy to diagnose. Pull the vac line off the fuel pressure sensor and see if it has any gas in it or if it even smells like gas.

Might also try cleaning the MAF wires with MAF cleaner.

You arent by any chance using a K&N or knockoff air filter that is over oiled?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
172 and 175, are rich codes, and 1132 and 1152 are O2 stuck at rich, not switching. These are usually easy to diagnose. Pull the vac line off the fuel pressure sensor and see if it has any gas in it or if it even smells like gas.

Might also try cleaning the MAF wires with MAF cleaner.

You arent by any chance using a K&N or knockoff air filter that is over oiled?

Hi, no I am using a purolator filter.
The MAF is a replacement. The problem existed prior to replacing it.

I check the vac line, and there is no gas in it, and there is only a very slight odor, which I would assume its normal.

I have some scantool data if that would be helpful, you can download it here.

The other thing is that this is a replacement engine. A mechanic thought the wrong injectors might be in this engine because of the color code rings - I have a U vin, he said the injectors should be red, these are light blue which I think are for a S vin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fewer Codes

I changed the fuel filter, and disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to clear the PCM. Now I have only two codes instead of 4. P1132 and P1152.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts