Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brake light out on the drivers side of my 97 LX. I bought the bulbs today, but can't get to the brake light. i pulled out the carpet on the inside of the trunk, and ran into two wires with a thick rubber plug running into solid metal. pulled on this (even though it looked like it was headed for the blinker, not the brake light) and it wouldn't budge. the entire setup is encased in frocking steel.

i've been pulled over for this brake light before, and would like to fix it now, but if i gotta remove the rear end of the car just so i can fire up the cutting torch and remove that section of the car, i'm not gonna mess with it. :angry:

any ideas on how to get to this?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so www.autozone.com has a detailed maintenance guide on their website for free, and here's how you do this (just incase anyone else needs to know). Here we go:

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Open the trunklid.

Remove the quarter trim panel.

Remove the three retaining nuts for the taillamp assembly.

Carefully pull the rear lamp assembly away from the vehicle.

Detach the bulb(s) socket electrical connector.

Rotate the bulb(s) socket counterclockwise approximately 1/4 of a turn and remove the socket from the lamp assembly.

Remove the bulb(s) from the socket by pulling the bulb straight out.

The installation is the reverse of the removal.

That's for a sedan. the wagon is probably a little different, i didn't look, but it's on the same page as that was.

thanks anyhow...i guess i should look harder before i waste other peoples time.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Don't pull on the cord. There are some nuts and bolts surrounding the housing. Unscrew the top three. It should come right out. Just remember to detach the lights from the housing.

I suggest investing in a Chilton's manual. It's practically mandatory to get one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chiltons may be a good idea. like i said, i found the steps on autozone.com, probably they cropped it from a haynes, but i'll probably have to get a chiltons. thanks for the reply, though. always good to get a second opinion.

i just changed it, and it works. there was nothing wrong that i could see with the old bulb, but when i put the new one in and had my wife step on the brake pedal they all lit up. any ideas on why that happened? the filaments (there are 2) in the old bulb were both in tact.

weird.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good luck...it's a pain in the butt....that left side bolt is a mutha to get to. hope you got medicine for back pain. you'll need it :)

good luck

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
it shouldn't be THAT hard. Iv'e pulled mine out many times to do work on them (and to modify them), and Iv'e never had a problem. It's just a 12mm socket. THe carpeting comes out uber easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts