Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Taurus with that 3.0 single cam thing. It wont shift out of second. I have read that it could be a "speed sensor"? Anyone know if it is possible that this sensor isn't telling the puter how fast the cars going? The speed-o-meter works fine. A failing speedometer is another symptom of the speed sensor going kapoot. This (Mother-in-Laws) Taurus just one day decided to not shift. AMACOCO wants $1400 to play with it. The Car has 70K miles and is imaculate except for not wanting to go over 30mph. Any suggestions? No check-engine light.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
To me it sounds like the tranny. Some people have had slow shifts, and did a complete tranny flush and fill. But, if it won't shift out of second it could be a sensor in the tranny. One very simple thing you can do is reset the computer. I am not sure on that particular year of the car, but usually it is just disconecting the battery for a little while and then reconnecting it. I am sure someone here that has a 95' will help you out with this. Just hang around for a little while and there will be plenty of help. Welcome aboard, and good luck with the in-laws....

·
Registered
549 Posts
First of all DO NOT GO TO AAMCO THEY SUCK. I believe the '95's still had mechanical speedometers as my '93 did so the problem still could be the speed sensor. They are not expensive to replace and worth a try before you get more involved with more expensive things.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
This is the link for reading the codes without a scanner : http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

Looking out for a 452 code, if it comes up you know its your speed sensor. They run <$30 at napa or autozone for my 3.8, i cant imagine it being much more for the 3.0

To find it just follow the thick speedometer cable from your firewall back to behind the engine, i had to do mine by feel which kinda sucked, you may have an easier time with your engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can ANYONE tell me in English how to get the codes out of these silly cars. The hood-light has flashed the following- 223213421233252223433433124253312323321231423. i hit the throttle fast for each of the following numbers- 41676359666. There is no way of knowing what number goes with what. My 91 Lesabre (GM) has a couple of nothing codes that tell you when the first code stopes and the next code starts. Whats FORD's deal here? I am about to rip the battery out ............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE- Rebooted the computer and the silly car decided to start shifting. Gonna stick an oil-cooler on the tranny since you-guys seem to like them for these cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts