Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, know that i tried to get pictures, but my digital camera decided it didn't like batteries fresh out of the freezer, and now refuses to turn on (i thought i got all the moisture off earlier, but apparently not).

anyways, so i was in an accident. long story short, some dude decided he could turn left when a lady opposite him didn't go, and he didn't see i was coming up in the lane next to her. i tried to pull a ninja move and go right between the two, but i caught the tail end of him. tore up his wheel and rear quarter panel pretty nicely. i had minor damage for what could've happened...i was gonig about 40mph before hitting the brakes. the damage done to mine was a broken right headlight, and a bunch of front body damage, including the bumper, right quarter panel (which was also pushed back so i can't open the passenger door anymore), front bumper, and hood.

the car's still drivable, but hopefully i can get estimates tomorrow and get in the shop. im missin her already :)

part of me wish it would've at least bent the subframe so i could've gotten the tec i want :D but whatever, im gettin some new parts, and may end up gettin a new paint job out of it...one can only hope! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Aug 31 2004, 08:05 PM
The most important thing is that you weren't hurt.  Good luck with the repairs!
exactly...after i knew what was going to happen, i was pretty prepared. before i had my care completely stopped, i swear my cell phone was out of my pocket and into my hand, ready to dial 911. actually, i jumped out of the car and went over to the other car to make sure everyone was alright without even thinking, almost locking my keys in the car (at least i managed to turn it off, lol)

edit: btw, thanks :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,959 Posts
Glad to hear there were no injuries.

I was in a wreck on Monday. I was a passenger in my friend's older Honda Accord coupe. My friend was paying more attention to a homeless woman covered in feces and not paying attention to the Chevy Tahoe she rear ended. Needless to say, Accord versus Tahoe.... Tahoe 1, Acoord 0. The car was totaled, but no one was hurt. However, today my lower back was hurting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I can relate to the Taurus wreck...in April of 03 i was on my way to work when a guy in an Acura SUV came up behind me too fast in a school zone and tried to swerve around me to keep from hittin me. Unfortunately the road was rather slick from a brief drizzle and he fishtailed and got traction but he was at a right angle in relation to my car and when he caught traction he clipped the back right corner of my moms 2000 maroon duratech Taurus sendin me itno a nasty spin into a telephone pole...needless to say the telephone pole won...it made a DEEEP dent in the rear right qaurter panel, the front bumper got knocked off and the rear windscreen popped completely out as one pice and landed in somebodys backyard. No suprise that the taurus was TOTALLED and it only had 38k on the meter <_< ...but out of that tragedy i got my current 93 3.8 GL...My mom got a sweet Jeep grand Cherokee laredo and my dad got a new Ranger 4x4...I was glad to get that car cause the car i had at the time was on life support...an 88 Camry with 175k on the meter...My 93 had only 49k on it when i got it...very very cherry :D ..since then its aquired a few parking lot dents <_< and the had a valve job...but thats just abput it...I didnt get hurt too bad...just got knocked out and had a nasty bumb on my head where it smacked against the A-Pillar when the car met the pole.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by spridget@Sep 1 2004, 02:04 AM
Accord versus Tahoe.... Tahoe 1, Acoord 0.
lol that reminds me of the conan o'brian show w/mr. t when they're at the apple orchard and Mr. T finds a bee in his apple...
"T, 1. Bee, 0!"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,578 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jordan.

A couple months ago I got hit by a drunk driver. I was making a left turn and he had a stop sign, and just ran right through it, and hit my driver's side rear door. Then he told me it was my fault. Then he wanted to fight me. Then I smelled booze. Then I saw the infant in the back seat. Then he drove away. Then I waited foru hours for the Philly police to show up, who did absolutely nothing. Anyway, long story short...they never found the guy and I'm going to be out like $1000 to get the door fixed. Also, the day after, my shins and calfs hurt...wierd...

JR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, just wanted to give a small update. I called their insurance rep at 9:00am, and I'm still waiting for a call back from them.

I also just found that apparently when i hit them, I knocked a screw loose, and it's now in my left rear tire. Luckily, it's not leaking, but that looks like more damage that needs to be repaired, lol.

I've gotten a ton of comments from people at work on how sad that is, because they always loved how nice and clean I always kept my car and how it always looked so nice.

Now I'm trying to look ahead at what's going to need to be done. To see the pictures I just got, goto here: supermotors accident album

My question now is how much you guys think something might this end up costing. People are telling me that it looks like it could be near $5k for just that part. Some people said that I'd end up getting a whole new paint job so everything will match. Some say that they might just consider it totaled if the cost of repair is more than the car's worth (trade-in value on my '01 se is $3,950, retail is $8,315, and private party value is $6,075, so i'm not sure which that they'd use).

comments? :)
 
G

·
Glad you are ok. Looking at the pics, it looks like you need hood, headlight, bumper, quarter panel. Unless there is any other major damage, my guess would be $3k. But damn, $6075?!?! for private party. Wow, talk about depreciation. If they total it, hopefully they give you more than that. When my car was totaled 3 years ago, it was rated as "dealer condition" so I got as much as dealers were asking. I dont know how your insurance works if they go that route.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
927 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 1 2004, 06:53 AM
A couple months ago I got hit by a drunk driver.  I was making a left turn and he had a stop sign, and just ran right through it, and hit my driver's side rear door.  Then he told me it was my fault.  Then he wanted to fight me.  Then I smelled booze.  Then I saw the infant in the back seat.  Then he drove away.  Then I waited foru hours for the Philly police to show up, who did absolutely nothing.  Anyway, long story short...they never found the guy and I'm going to be out like $1000 to get the door fixed.  Also, the day after, my shins and calfs hurt...wierd...

JR
That sounds similar to what happened to me, minus the whole drunk driver hitting me part. :unsure: Somebody hit the **** out of my door while it was parked in the lot when I used to live in the dorms. I was quoted $700 to fix it about 1.5 years ago, but haven't bothered to get it done yet. Pisses me off. :angry:


Also, glad to hear you are ok jord4n. Hopefully everything will work out well with the insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Sep 1 2004, 10:21 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to give a small update. I called their insurance rep at 9:00am, and I'm still waiting for a call back from them.

I also just found that apparently when i hit them, I knocked a screw loose, and it's now in my left rear tire. Luckily, it's not leaking, but that looks like more damage that needs to be repaired, lol.

I've gotten a ton of comments from people at work on how sad that is, because they always loved how nice and clean I always kept my car and how it always looked so nice.

Now I'm trying to look ahead at what's going to need to be done. To see the pictures I just got, goto here: supermotors accident album

My question now is how much you guys think something might this end up costing. People are telling me that it looks like it could be near $5k for just that part. Some people said that I'd end up getting a whole new paint job so everything will match. Some say that they might just consider it totaled if the cost of repair is more than the car's worth (trade-in value on my '01 se is $3,950, retail is $8,315, and private party value is $6,075, so i'm not sure which that they'd use).

comments? :)
I got into an accident that caused similar damage to my car. I was rearended into a another car. I had about the same damage in the front of the car and needed a new rear bumper cover and aftermarket exhaust. The total for everything on my car came to about $5k, but that included the back too. Also, insurance companies are not interested in if your car's paint matches itself. My brother's wife works at ALFA and says that in most cases, they pay for a paint blend. So that if the color doesn't match, then atleast it's not as noticeable if it actually blends into the color of the car. My car was "Paint Blend"ed and you can't even tell it was ever repainted. Good luck on getting everything worked out.

BTW what insurance company do you use...I have AIG and they are the best. Had a rental car waiting for me at the collision center like 45 minutes after the accident. And all of the claims takers and adjusters were really nice. A good insurance company makes the accident more bearable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Sep 1 2004, 12:10 PM
if you have to paint any part of the car, most insurance companies will paint the whole car just so it'll match up.

glad to hear you're okay, too.
When I had that fiasco with the tire shop, my body shop only painted the new fender and blended the coat of paint into the door...

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
i was rear ended by a lady who had GEICO and they painted my entire car...a 91 Honda Accord. The cheap, generic, TV insurance companies don't give a crap...but most will do it if you push them.

but hey...i'm no insurance expert. good luck though...hate to see a pretty car like yours messed up because some tight-wad insurance company won't cough up the bucks when they are supposed to.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,578 Posts
Most will blend, but I'm sure that if there's a certain percentage of the car that is replaced, they will repaint the entire car. It's probably cheaper at that point to just repaint the entire thing, rather than worrying abotu blending large areas.

Also, most insurance companies will use a combination of methods to evaluate the condition and the price of the car. I can't remember the specifics, but they typically use three or four different eval methods, throw out the high and the low, and average the two in the middle.

JR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Sep 1 2004, 11:02 AM
Glad you are ok. Looking at the pics, it looks like you need hood, headlight, bumper, quarter panel. Unless there is any other major damage, my guess would be $3k. But damn, $6075?!?! for private party. Wow, talk about depreciation. If they total it, hopefully they give you more than that. When my car was totaled 3 years ago, it was rated as "dealer condition" so I got as much as dealers were asking. I dont know how your insurance works if they go that route.
yeah, depreciation sux...i bought it just over a year ago for $7k, ($5500 after $1500 trade-in for an old minivan my parents gave me as a trade-in). so if i can get 6k, i'll be happy, because of how much more i know now about taurii from being a member here. def gettin the 'tec if my car is considered totaled ;)

someone mentioned asking about "depreciation value" since it's been in a wreck...can anyone elaborate on this further?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by taurus2000@Sep 1 2004, 01:39 PM
BTW what insurance company do you use...I have AIG and they are the best. Had a rental car waiting for me at the collision center like 45 minutes after the accident. And all of the claims takers and adjusters were really nice. A good insurance company makes the accident more bearable.
I have State Farm, though the dude's insurance company, who I'm in contact with now is Nationwide. I've heard good and bad things about them. I'm hoping for all the good. :)

jr, as for the % damaged/replaced of the car, i wonder what that'd have to be. most of the front of the car is in need of replacement now. the only thing that doesn't is the left front quarter panel...so they'd have to blend into the passenger-side door and the left front quarter panel.

she left me a vm while i was in class, so i just left her one...stupid phone tag :) im hoping i can get some estimates tomorrow. let's hope she calls in the next hour or so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got my first estimate...$3324.59

that's only an estimate for what we could *see.* he decided against trying to open the hood in case we couldn't get it shut. so there may be more damage than just that. the dude said that because of the damage, he thinks they would only cover paint-matching instead of a whole new paint job.

also, he says that nationwide sux, and they'll probably try to get aftermarket parts, which will really make me upset, because then i won't have the same car i had before the accident. any ideas on how to argue that w/the insurance company in case something like this comes up?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
Bitch and fight it. Keep telling them their is something wrong with it until it IS fixed correctly. Make sure the parts are replaced with IDENTICAL parts not Aftermarket ones. It is the insurance companies job to get the car to exactly how it was before the accident. My car was pretty much totalled.. it went back to the shop about 6 times.. When you are done IF there is any subframe damage get an alignment and see how far off stock it is.. not "within the parameters" but EXACTLY! I know my front end is slightly pushed to the left.

They replaced my nice subframe that got bent with a rusty POS one.. make sure if they use anything "USED" or "recycled" that you see it before it goes in. If it's rusted either have them paint it or see if they'll get a new one for you. I wish I knew they were replacing mine with an old one. I woulda paid myself to have a new one powdercoated and installed.

Good luck.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top