Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the SAS fix yesterday. Have about 1.5 " of addl rear body height. I noticed the rear brake proportioning valve attached to the underbody just ahead of the left rear wheel. It has a bracket and cable attached to the front suspension arm (for the left rear wheel hub). I expect this is some sort of auto adjustment for rear end lifting/front end dive under heavy braking?? or???

Do I need to adjust the cable on the bracket? or??

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I did the SAS fix yesterday. Have about 1.5 " of addl rear body height. I noticed the rear brake proportioning valve attached to the underbody just ahead of the left rear wheel. It has a bracket and cable attached to the front suspension arm (for the left rear wheel hub). I expect this is some sort of auto adjustment for rear end lifting/front end dive under heavy braking?? or???

Do I need to adjust the cable on the bracket? or??
[/b]
You probably won't have to do anyting to it, if it even works anymore. It's there so that when more weight it in the rear of the car (thereby making the car sit lower) it allows more pressure to the rear brakes so they do more work. When the rear of the car sits higher (ie - has less weight in the back) it allows less pressure through so the rear brakes don't lock up. I replaced my rear brake lines, and removed the valve completely, thereby allowing full pressure to the rear brakes all the time. I don't have any problems with the rear wheels locking up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
[/quote] I replaced my rear brake lines, and removed the valve completely, thereby allowing full pressure to the rear brakes all the time. I don't have any problems with the rear wheels locking up.
[/quote]
do you have abs or not? cause i heard that you shouldn't do anything like that if you don't have abs. cause i've been thinking about doing it but haven't cause of what i have heard

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I replaced my rear brake lines, and removed the valve completely, thereby allowing full pressure to the rear brakes all the time. I don't have any problems with the rear wheels locking up.
[/quote]
do you have abs or not? cause i heard that you shouldn't do anything like that if you don't have abs. cause i've been thinking about doing it but haven't cause of what i have heard
[/quote]

He has ABS.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Ford eliminated this valve on the non ABS G4s did it not?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I replaced my rear brake lines, and removed the valve completely, thereby allowing full pressure to the rear brakes all the time. I don't have any problems with the rear wheels locking up.
[/b]
[/b]
You should do it only if you have ABS. So long as you have larger front brakes and decent suspension you will be okay. We have the bias plugs here: SHO Source

Ford eliminated this valve on the non ABS G4s did it not?
[/b]
I think they did.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
gen4s only received rear drum brakes too.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
[/quote]

He has ABS.
[/quote]
No, i don't have ABS. I upgraded the front discs to 11.6" rotors, and swapped the rear drums to disc. I don't know if that has any bearing on the wheels not locking up, but they don't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pushed the struts up in the rear knuckles about 1.25" or so. I'm happy with how the car sits now. I've noticed sometimes when I brake after I apply pressure on the brake pedal as the car starts to brake, about half way slowing down, the pedal gives way sharply and depresses another 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so. What gives? Is this the proportion valve toggling/activating? I have drums in the back and I don't think I have ABS.

No other sounds or problems. Anything to be concerned about???

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That would not be the proportioning valve. Sounds more like the master cylinder.

The valve in the back restricts the fluid flow when activated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts