Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess nobody ever thought it would be worth it to make their sable an SHO. Or take their SHO and put sable front bumper, hood, and fenders on it. I know someone atleast wanted too but i never hear anything like that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ive thought about that, but I didn't think it would work right. The headlights on Bulls and Sables are different. I've been wondering that that gen III body kit would work on a Sable because of that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about just having the only v8 Sable, it would be costly, and unpopular just like every other motor swap on here, but it would be the most original i think.

·
Registered
702 Posts
lol, it would probably cost more to do an engine swap than to just buy another used car with a V8 in it already unless you were going to swap the engines yourself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think though, that if you remove a SHO frony bumper, hood, head lights, front fenders. All the taurus body parts in the front and replace them with Sable parts, you would kind of have a Sable SHO, it would really be a SHO with a Sable face, but it would be cheaper than an engine swap.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Keep the SHO bumper on the back of the car, but take off the Taurus lettering and change it to Sable. No one would notice that it wasnt a Taurus.

:chili:

G

·
Best Price Racing... this is annoying now. LOL.

I want to do a V8 swap. But I think it wouldn't be worth the effort and wait. I would rather add parts to the Duratec. I was thinking about adding a SHO Front bumper on my Sable. Still in the process of planning it.

Sal

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that would be cool, a SHO front with a Sable rear, i like the rear of the g3 sables better than the taurus anyway.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about a v8 sable then, it would be costly though, i doubt anyone would do it.

G

·
I would do it. But like stated before. Rather get a SHO Taurus if I want a V8 that bad.

Also, the Sable rear end is a WHOLE lot better looking then the Taurus. But I like the front of the Taurus then the front of the Sable. I think the SHO front Fascia would be a great addition to any Sable.

Sal

·
Registered
156 Posts
the Sable rear end to me, seems like they forgot to finish it.

Sorry, it's just IMHO
:05:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I wouldnt put the V-8 in the sable...cause then you would have to transfer the bigger brakes, active suspension, sway bars (and more), rims to accomodate the bigger brakes, the power steering rack (SHO has a different one), and probably more... As far as swapping body parts...the front end is possible, however I beleive the rear end is longer, and the rear fenders (which is really part of the whole car) of the taurus would have to be filled in because of the sables narrow and long lights....youd also be looking at a new trunk lid as well as bumperl....The sable also doesnt have any rear glass vents (the small "looking" glass on the sides of the car...so if you transformed an SHO into a sable you would have to cover them up sumhow to get the true effect....Theres more I just cant think of anything else.... I think it would be more fun to put an supercharged SHO V6 and 5-Speed into a 2nd taurus wagon for the money B)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also the sable has a rectangular rear windshield (like a g4 taurus) as opposed to an oval on my car. But if someone wanted something different. They could just swap the body parts in the front.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
It's been done, someone from SHOForum turned a Sable into an MTX SHO...ble.

If you mean a gen 3, there really is not much of a point. G3 SHO engines are very expensive if you can even find one, and the gain of ~30 hp is simply not worth it. That same gain could be accomplished with a chip, underdrive pulleys, a full exhaust with high flow cats, a cold air intake (or close to it anyway), and some porting/polishing of the manifold.

G

·
I was thinking on just doing the front... I mean, whe's the last time you saw a Tan Front SHO bumper cover??? LOL It would definitely be interesting...lol

Sal

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Aug 14 2004, 10:28 PM
It's been done, someone from SHOForum turned a Sable into an MTX SHO...ble.

If you mean a gen 3, there really is not much of a point. G3 SHO engines are very expensive if you can even find one, and the gain of ~30 hp is simply not worth it. That same gain could be accomplished with a chip, underdrive pulleys, a full exhaust with high flow cats, a cold air intake (or close to it anyway), and some porting/polishing of the manifold.
That sums it up right there!!! Dont get me wrong though, I LOVE my Sho and would not get rid of it for anything. THe Gen III Sho's are VERY heavy and as everyone knows that went to the First ROTB, you can stomp a V8 Sho with a little help on a regular Taurus. <_< I did not like that at all :lol2:

You would have to change the whole electrical system, drivetrain, front end, suspension front and back, wiring.....I could keep going on. Its ALOT cheaper to just buy a Gen III sho if you want the V8. I havent heard about anyone changing a Sable into a sho on the Shoforum but I know that a guy made a Topaz into a sho.....well sho internals anyways.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Sable rear end to me, seems like they forgot to finish it.
I agree. I think they look stupid without some sort of spoiler to even out the trunk. It looks like the trunk sags because it curves down like the back of a VW bug. A nice stock spoiler would make it appear flatter and more sportier.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Has any one test-fitted a Gen3 Sable rear on a Gen3 Taurus? I looked at one today and it looked like it may work and look decent, but with my little knowledge, I wouldn't bet on it. Also, the light (baby) blue Sable I looked at had an SHO spoiler on it which was just , well....... :puke:

Whether or not it had the V8 engine in it, I'd still love to see a Sable (Gen3) with a SHO front bumper. I think that would be a very nice sight to see. I also noticed that the headlight cutouts on the fender were so minorally different, you could probably get away with only having to buy the bumper cover, head lights, and the seperate turning signals (Maybe a hood too but I haven't thought to look at the similarities/differences). I think, that at the next meet where there are 2 people interested in doin a swap, everyone there should pitch in and help do it: the whole front end of both cars, just for curiosity. Take pics and post'em! It wouldn't cost anybody anything except for maybe some chill time! I say we get 2 people that are interested and do it! The cars don't have to be the same color unless you think it's absolutely necessary for appearance. whadaya guys say? anyone interested?

BTW, if it wasn't clear, you wouldn't have to keep the swapped parts unless both parties agreed to do so. And as far as paying the people who do the work, I'll take a nice steak dinner for the job; I'd also want somebody else to help out; about 4-6 people total so we can have 3 on each car!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts