Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought some 215/ 75r15 tires to put on my Grand Cherokee, which currently has 235/75r15s. I'm certain they will fit, because I've put 205s on them before. Also, the tires are rated at 770kgs, which are well above the GVWR of the Jeep. The tires i bought are Kumho Solus KR21s from Tirerack at $64 a piece.

I also will be testing out internal dynamic balancing. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ uses ceramic beads, that you put inside your tire. Apparently its 8 bucks a tire and all it is, is ceramic sand blast media. SO, I will be putting in zinc coated metal BB pellets or plastic Airsoft pellets as a test. I am still at a crossroads of what kind of pellets I should use. I am afraid plastic will deteriorate too fast and turn into powder, also I am afraid the steel pellets will shatter and tear up my tires from the inside. I've read online in the offroader forums, some people put airsoft pellets in their rig wheels and are perfectly fine. I have also read many reviews of the Dynabeads being "riding on glass," aside from it sounding like a rain stick when they slow down.

We'll see if I die in a horrible mishap, or if I will be successful. I will update either Saturday or at a later date, as that's the day I will be manually mounting all 5 of my new tires.
-Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
After you correct the speedo those tires will probably give you better mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I remember years ago there was a company that made wheel balancers that mounted behind the wheel. They were a thin steel plate with a round plastic tube mounted to it, inside the tube was steel shot that rolled free to balance the tires. My dad had them on a '73 ford van and a '77 GMC suburban and they worked great, never had a problem with wheel balance. I dont know if I would trust anything on the inside of the tire, just for the fact that it would work like sand blasting against the wheel and possibly the tire at lower speeds or when starting and stopping. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hit a snag, i need to stretch my tires in order to mount them. i cant get a beadlock. so theyre sitting in my garage with stuff between the sidewalls to get them to stretch a little, then some bicycle inner tubing to get a better beadlock.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
We had to do that last winter with the 2004 wrangler. 215/85/16 tires on a wheel designed for 265 didn't work so well. The garage stuck inner tubes in the wheels. After going flat a few times, they ended up working fine.

EVERY jeep for the longest time came with 15'' wheels. Shouldn't be too terrible hard to find a set of 15'' wheels for your grand cherokee that would work with thoset tires.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Tie a rope around the tread diameter and use a stick to make a tourniquet out of it.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ mike:
id rather not get new wheels, im a minimum cost kinda guy

@ paul
oo i didnt think about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts