Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm using my computer or now, though not sure how long it will last. It's running at half it's capabilities. It has an AMD 3200+ which runs at 2200Mhz, currently it's running at 1100Mhz. Anything more then that it will crash at will. Mostly triggered by loading at cd into the cd rom. At this speed it will run pretty decently, except for being slower, but less likely to die.

When I put a cd into the cd rom, it will completely loose all power. To get it to start up again, I have to shut the master power switch off on the back of the power supply. Then it will restart. Between my buddie, who know's a lot on computers and myself, we have trouble shooted it down to the motherboard being the problem. So it's now time to upgrade my system. I'm getting him to price me parts from a company online he deals with often to build his own systems. But I need to come up with the money first before I go ahead and get him to start ordering parts. I'm hoping by Christmas or shortly after to have enough to order everything I need.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hoss, that sure sounds like a weak power supply to me.

Might want to check into that before you blow a bundle.

Zorin

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you happen to know a little bit about computers or you know someone that does you could just buy parts to fix yours or just build a new one. I got all my parts at microcenter.com for my pc and it runs great. They're pretty cheap there. Individual parts are in the BYOPC tab on the right of the web page.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoss, that sure sounds like a weak power supply to me.

Might want to check into that before you blow a bundle.

Zorin
[/b]

Tried unplugging everything but hard-drive, no difference. If I have everything unplugged except for hard-drive I get similar results.

When booting at normal processor speed, it will crash during boot up as soon as it gets to the cd rom. If I unplug the cd roms at normal processor speed it will crash at reading the hard drive. Now if it runs in it's safety mode speed, it will run pretty normal. We both were thinking power supply at first as well, but it's it seems weird how this is acting. The power supply in the machine is the second one in 5 years, and the computer itself is about 5 years or slightly older. So I'm probably due for upgrading. My buddy does have spare power supplies that will work for my machine, so I will probably end up trying that before going ahead and making a final decision, but I'm leaning toward upgrading I think.

I will be building a system, not sure yet, but am thinking about a quad processor, at least 4 gigs of RAM, minimum 512 HD, 512 Meg video card, DVD burner, new case and better power supply. I'm no expert on computers, but know enough to figure out what's decent enough.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, definately scope out newegg.

I got my latest machine from there, and I got the goodies, man.

Truncated goodie list:

AMD 64x2 6000 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
512 MB nVidia 8600
MSI Mainboard, with a few extras, like 1394
Ultra Case with 450W PSU
22" widescreen monitor
Logitech Wireless KB and mouse setup

I got away for less than 900 bones. I don't think I did too bad.

Zorin

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Newegg is always selling processor/RAM combos for pretty good deals.

Keep your eyes on slickdeals.net, bensbargains.net, and dealnews.com.

I priced out building myself a new system the other day...new case, quad-core Intel processor, Asus mobo, 4 GB RAM, dual 500 GB SATA hdds (for RAID).

I think it ended up being roughly $900, shipped.

JR

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I just built my parents a new computer using a CompUSA barebones kit as a base...nothing hugely spactacular, but I'm happy with how it came out, and everything was only $320 shipped.

XFX motherboard, 3.2 GHz Pentium D, 3GB DDR2 (667), 500gb hard drive, EVGA GeForce 9500 GT, 512mb PCI-E (I think that's about the best $45 graphics card going right now), HP DVD burner, Sony DVD-ROM, case, 450w power supply, plus some fans.

It's got more than enough guts for anything it's ever going to have to do...it replaced a 10 year old Pentium 2 350 :lol2:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had that happen one time with a failing CD-ROM drive. Replaced the CD-ROM drive and it was ok.

I'm with others here... it's cheaper to just fix what you have. Even with laptops. My hard drive was showing signs of flakiness and I needed a larger one anyway so I bought a new larger one. I am for trying to keep what I can.

Then again, if you need some more power and it's easier to go barebones, just swap in some of your known working existing hardware and you'd be good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts