Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I dont get it.

You hate a site that bad. As far as I can see, it only lists the common problems that alot of us see in our cars. It seems to me that the site is non-bias and only lists facts. Actually I find it to be a good site with all the recall info listed.

Once again

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Looks like an excellent source of information.
I think what we need for the club is a list of links to websites like this to find the information when we need it. Maybe classify them in groups like the forums.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From the looks of things, they fixed most of the bad stuff before I bought my '95.
After nine years, the seafoam green clearcoat paint still shines!

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I agree it is the harsh truth about our cars and we gotta understand that.

However,

- No car has rusted like my Cavalier. After only 8 years the frame corroded so badly that the car was basically dangerous to drive. None of the doors would open because of the frame sag, and when you did get a door open you had to slam it shut--dropping about 2 pounds of rust to the ground every time the car was kicked. The body was crap, the paint had all flaked off, and this was with regular undercoating. My grandpa's 96 Cavalier LS already started to show signs of rust on the EXTERIOR of the car in 1999.

- The 97 Jeep Cherokee I used to drive, which was a family vehicle, made me appreciate the AXOD/AX4N. That transmission could not shift worth a crap. Some days it would be okay, other days it would bang and smash into gears and was just a pain to drive. Under factory warranty, Chrysler claimed that there was nothing wrong with the transmission and that the slamming into gears was because the SUV required a "heavy duty shifter" it was total BS. Eventually the transmission went and the engine started gobbling down so much gas on a 90% highway trip we calculated 8 mpg (the V8 Cadillac got 26 mpg so how did this make any sense?) we got rid of it, that was the biggest mechanical blunder my family had ever owned. It was maintained religiously too. After that was fixed it was dumped.

- Let's see...my car? Sure I had engine troubles, and since I got the new engine I've been driving it just as hard with no problems. I've had to fix nothing on the car other than drop in a new battery, alternator, and starter which was done by the dealer who sold me a car with crappy ones. The transmission is still shifting normally, sometimes it will go a tad harsh on the 1-2 but nothing out of the ordinary... even when it's cold, the car runs well. I am fairly happy with my car at the moment and don't see the tranny dying at least until next year, but by then I'll have 120-130k on it and it'll be understandable.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
It's not like the Taurus is the only one on there. Here's something about Toyota from the same site.

"Faced with a consumer revolt over low mileage engine failures
caused by oil sludge buildup, Toyota has begun
to notify 3.3 million owners of 1997-2002 Toyota and Lexus vehicles
with 3.0-liter IMZ V-6 engines and all 1997-2001 Toyota vehicles with
5SFE 2.2-liter 4-cylinder engines that it will cover the cost of sludge-related
repairs for eight years from date of initial sale."

It took Toyota 8 years to finally make a recall on their engines that have failed due to sludge build up. It's not like Ford is the only one with problems.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by '91Taurus@Jan 4 2004, 02:50 AM
I hate this website...

I want to damn these people to eternal hellfire.
this website could save your life. similar story happened with my brakes. i happened to feel loss of braking power and was wondering why. My cluster did not mention anything was wrong with the braking system. Anyway, i decided to go to Sears Automotive and the mechanic looked at me as if I was dropped on my head. the first thing he told me was "how did you do it?" and my response was "do what?" He said the brake fluid in the master cylinder was "well virtually zero"; the rear brake cylinder (drum) was bleeding heavily and all the fluid leaked out but somehow I was still some how able to stop the car. I partly blame myself not paying attention to the maintenance part of the car. But the thing is that the cluster never mentioned the fluid level was low or that there was something wrong with the braking system. Anyway, the site you posted did mention this problem.

The best thing I can tell anyone is never trust the cluster panel. Just check all the fluid levels yourself manually to make sure everything is ok. That way, you will leave no room for mistakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts