Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 SE Duratech and

1)the radio/Cassette/climate control console does not illuminate... just the digital radio numbers. Any fix for this??

2) My headlights are always on...for a short while after I got the car I was able to turn them off by, you guessed it, turning the headlights off...but now they stay on.

3) Last thing for now.. I have to turn my key almost to full crank (battery lights come on...) in order to listen to the radio. It's the first car I've had where I couldn't turn the key towards me so I could listen to the radio without nearly cranking the car on.

Any advice to this admitted novice would be appreciated. :unsure: :(

S

·
0 Posts
1) my SHO's stock radio used to do this, the light bulb was burned out. but don't ask me how to replace the bulbs on a G3..

2) That's probably the autolamp.

3) I don't know the order, but the ignition could go lock/off/acc/on/start instead of acc/lock/off/on/start But don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I once had a car (a Mercury) with a bad ignition lock; I always had trouble turning the switch to "ACC", which was to the left after you inserted the key.
I'd bet you have the same trouble. The sequence on all FoMoCo cars is: "Acc-Lock-Off-Run-Start"

As far as the radio lamp goes, you have trouble. I understand that replacing the bulbs in a Gen3 radio/climate control is a major PIA.

Your headlights are always on? Always?!? Or just when the engine is running? Like SHO-Connie said, check the autolamp setting. Do you have an owner's manual? Could you possibly have a Canadian model with the DRL's?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Sable and SHO I will take your advice. Oh yeah, the light are on while the car is running... :lol2: ;)

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Those are called daytime running lamps...and if your radio is not illuminating with those on thats because it's not supposed to. You have to turn the headlight switch all the way to on before the radio and everything will light up...

The daytime lights only come on when the car is turned to on.

You should be able to turn the key back. The steering wheel locks sometimes and wont let you turn it back all the way (SOMETIMES.) Fiddle around by moving the wheel with the key off and keep trying to turn the key so that the TOP of the key is facing twards the BACK of the car.

-Kyle

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wasn't aware that Gen3's had bulbs in the radio. I was under the impresson that the lights are on a sheet of plastic that light up. I'm going blank on the technical term for it though. Eh well, either way, its gonna be a pain to repair.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are called daytime running lamps...and if your radio is not illuminating with those on thats because it's not supposed to. You have to turn the headlight switch all the way to on before the radio and everything will light up...

The daytime lights only come on when the car is turned to on.

I should have clarified that...the radio lights do not illuminate when I turn the headlights or parking lights on :p

I must have a bad sheet then... :angry:

Thanks again for all the insight you all :) :D

S

·
0 Posts
Running lights.. why didn't I think of that..

You're not driving around at night with the DRLs on are you? that'd be a serious no no.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts