Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im new here cool place. I am seriously considering buying a 3rd gen taurus or sable and have done a lot of researching on it. I would just like to hear from the owners, Pros Cons, anything to look for when buying one? Anything to check for that might not be elsewhere online? I have never owned a Ford mainly been a GM man so any details that you guys might be able to help out on would be great. Thanks A lot for your time.

X

·
0 Posts
If you really want to own a taurus, I suggest looking at the 2002+ cars. They can be had for less than $12k with very low miles and decent options.

B

·
0 Posts
We have a 97 Taurus with the 3.0l 12 valve engine, and have had very good luck with it. I did have to do the headgaskets at 80k, however it was my own fault. (misfire, and low on coolant). Other than that it's been trouble free.

J

·
0 Posts
I had a 99 before the 01 I have now and I loved it. I only got rid of it because:

1. I was ready to upgrade
2. I had tranny problems due to a lack of maintenance and abuse by the previous owner

I would definitely try to find one that has been well cared for - that is very important with our cars. If you don't take care of them things will go bad. I really do miss my Gen 3, but I love my Gen 4.

oh, Welcome to the Club!

M

·
0 Posts
GM owner eh? We'll change that once you get a ford product. Um...i have 98 mercury sable. And i've had no problems, at least major problems with my car. It has 158,000 miles on it, and i'm still on the first engine, and trans. And it's still going strong as all hell. It seems as tho nothings going to kill this car.
I've only had to do general maintence on the car...tune up, new tires, brakes, new senors, egr valve. nothing serious. I love my car, i'm keeping it forever

When you're looking into buying one, make sure you test drive it, and have someone go with you that knows ford cars. make sure the car is in good condition, otherwise you're going to have problems on your hands. If you had a bad owner, you're going to have a bad car. Make sure you look at kelly blue book.com for prices on the car you want. (just to make sure that the seller isn't ripping you off) i would also get a history on the car if you can.

good luck!!! let us know what happens!

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
My car, has been through hell and back. 84K miles, still runnin strong. original engine, and tranny. only thing I had go on me right now is the oil pan gasket and thats probably because of the way i drive. Other than that, it's been hit, beat up, etc and still runs like a champ. Can still hang with a 3.0L intrepid and can also catch up to a 3.5L intrepid.
Hope you show some G3 love! And welcome to the club!!!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Always good to see GM guys on here. The main thing to watch out for is the trans-axle. It does not dissipate heat very well, and they can fail before 100K miles if you don't watch it. I'm sure you know about junk trans-axles as well with the 4T60E.
A cooler and some good Mercon V will let it go 150K+. Engine choice is also a big factor since the upgraded motor gets the stronger trans-axle (AX4N versus AX4S).

Both engines are 3.0 V-6s, but the base is an OHV (Vulcan) and the other is a DOHC (Duratec). The Duratec is a stronger motor without argue. 200 horsepower versus 155 will do that.
However, Vulcan guys will tell you, and I myself since I own one, will vouch for the Vulcan being the best "truck" motor out of the 5 motors the Taurus has ever had in it. You could probably run a Vulcan without oil for days and it would keep running. I also can't argue with my 24/30 mileage either.

When you have a few cars in mind, be sure to run them by us. Taurii are very hit or miss vehicles in terms of quality. I have not run across a bad one, but there are lemons of course. I hope this will show you that Ford does not make pure junk vehicles. Personally, I would show you an Explorer if you wanted an example of a quality vehicle (I would probably die for my Ford truck) but the Taurus definitely has its merits. It's very safe, cheap to insure, and you will love the mileage in addition to the amazingly large storage space.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Glad to see a GM owner coming over from the Dark Side.

I'm on my 2nd bull - 1st was a 1994 Gen2 GL - standard 3.0 - traded it off for a Gen3 in 2002. Had 182,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

My Gen3 is a 1998 SE with a duratec. Man, this thing will amaze you with the power. Pulling out into freeway traffic and punching the pedal and it'll get you up to speed in a hurry! Will warn you - keeping your foot in it will really drink the fuel. Drive it "nicely" ie. keep it under the double-nickel and it'll go 300-350 miles on a tank of fuel on the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome! I have aroung 3 grand to play with and would like low miles so the Taurus/Sable looks pretty good and the more I think about it the more I like the car. GM only has compacts at that price range for a newer car, and me being 6'2 and having a 1yr old to drive around a compact doesnt make much scence and my current Trans Am isnt that pleasent if you have a kid.

http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtm...lor=&cardist=11
Here is one of the cars I was looking at maybe going to see it on the weekend. Any of you guys that live in jersey know how much these cost to insure around? Thanks for the info and anymore you can give me. I am almost positive I plan on getting a Ford, must go hide from all of my friends now, lol jk.

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Actually based upon precentages the tec is only 20% stronger overall in both hp and torque, the vulcan has 72.5% of the power and 87.5% of the torque based off the ratings at the crank, since both suffer from about 20% driveline loss the 20% advantage should remain a constant factor, but unless you have to be able to go above 130 with the proper tires and a speed limit raising chip, the vulcan is the better deal, it costs less to buy, less to mantain.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Having owned a Vulcan, and driven a Dura, I can definitely say, I would rather have the Duratec. I defend the Vulcan since I own one, but if I could do it all over again, the 24V is the way to go for a highway motor. Now if you're going to be abusing the hell out of the car driving 5 miles or so without warming the motor up, then get the Vulcan. It has no top end at all, but it is a tank of a motor. Nothing stops a Vulcan.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a 97 Taurus GL with the Vulcan and never had any troubles with it. My father in law got it from a salvage and fixed her up and put another tranny it. But since then she is past 190k and still running like a charm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts