Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to town to run a couple of errands and when I tried to start my car to come back home, it tried to crank but wouldn't turn over, I popped the hood and saw this:eek:.

I stuck the wire back on and drove home, but I'd like to know why this happened?

This is not an old wire, I replaced most of the ignition components about a month ago due to misfiring.

The weather has been wicked hot here lately upper mid to upper 90's some triple digits, could that be a contributing factor?

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Faulty wire would be my guess, maybe too much resistance in the wire may have caused overheating and that would make the rubber degrade quickly.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Poor quality part? Make sure the new part has a tight connection to the coil post. Tighten if necessary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully one of the local stores will sell me the single wire, I'm going to put the old wire back on for now.

They (the wires) were a budget set through Rock Auto, hopefully it was the only bad wire.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That would be an arc burn, the wire must have had a defect, it's like striking an arc with a welder, the wider the gap the more the wire burns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts