Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
I've got problem with my sable '90 with 3.0 vulcan engine.

short view at my present situation:

the first attempt to start engine is fine. It works couple of minutes and then dies. and then there is no way to turn it on, let's say, for couple of hours(?). that is why you have to wait with next try until another day... starter is working but there is no spark...

test showed following errors:

52 and than 14,18,29 and 41

at first I thougt that this problem is connected to the alarm and some kind of strange "ignition cut off" , I have found alarm cental, disconnected it and after that the engine started to work fine! sadly, only for one day, the next morning everything was as at the begginig.

I've checked coil with a wire with lamp and there is what I found:

there are 2 pins, one with a red wire and second with a double green-yellow wire.
when ignition switched on:
red wire when disconnected from coil and connected to the body thru lamp shows power,
when red connected and green disconnected: there is power between pin (corresponding to green wire) and body and there is no power between pin and green wire.
don't know what does it mean but still the car is running on occasion so the coil should be fine?
unless it's possible that sometimes coil is working sometimes not?

I've read couple of topics about similar cases and I haven't found any answer...

hope someone will have any idea what could be wrong.. :)

and hope it's the right place to write this topic - it's my first one here :)

thanks for help,
maciek /from Poland/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
back again with the same problem. :///

i've checked codes, now I know their meanings but still don't know what to do next, how to check which wires are connected badly.

I've taken Sable to electicians couple of times. At first they cut out a lot of wires connected to alarm system which was added by previous owner (such as cut off for fuel pump etc.) , It helped only for a 3 or 4 days. Than it was the same again. So it was taken to electricians again but unfortunately when we took it from transporter, car fixed itself - so the guy had really nothing to do. He keeped the car for a while, starting it every 2 hours during the week, but it was fine so I took it back. sable was working for about 3 weeks and some time ago problem occured again. Car works fine, starts just after ignition but while driving sometimes it is suddenly switching off - I guess there is no spark on distributor. My suspition is that there is one wire that is loosing it's connection somewhere around coil. I've checked wires next to coil, the red one with green stripe was a bit (i'm not sure about the word) :) verdigris (??). any way it was slipped inside so i fixed it. Car was fine again, I could bet that this was it, but today again the same thing. Where should I look? Which wires are essencial with sparks and so on? Could it be connected to some wires next to ignition switch, behind steering wheel? having old high voltage cables is it possible that there is some kind of brakedown and car is loosing spark and can't start again for some time?

I would appreciate any kind of suggestion, I like this car but I'm loosing my patience, I never know wheter I reach my destination or not.
thanks,
maciek

·
Registered
17 Posts
back again with the same problem. :///

Okay 19 year old car. Starts good then shuts down. When she stops I assume you have no spark at the wire from the coil to the distributor cap? Recheck all your grounds. Follow the wire neg cable to the body. Verify its clean and tight. any point on the wiring loom you find a black wire going to the block or the body just verify its clean and tight. Realize you could have a bad PIP/pickup coil, as they weren't known for their reliability, worn/burned ignition switch, or even something as simple as a computer relay thats weak.
Hope this helps

i've checked codes, now I know their meanings but still don't know what to do next, how to check which wires are connected badly.

I've taken Sable to electicians couple of times. At first they cut out a lot of wires connected to alarm system which was added by previous owner (such as cut off for fuel pump etc.) , It helped only for a 3 or 4 days. Than it was the same again. So it was taken to electricians again but unfortunately when we took it from transporter, car fixed itself - so the guy had really nothing to do. He keeped the car for a while, starting it every 2 hours during the week, but it was fine so I took it back. sable was working for about 3 weeks and some time ago problem occured again. Car works fine, starts just after ignition but while driving sometimes it is suddenly switching off - I guess there is no spark on distributor. My suspition is that there is one wire that is loosing it's connection somewhere around coil. I've checked wires next to coil, the red one with green stripe was a bit (i'm not sure about the word) :) verdigris (??). any way it was slipped inside so i fixed it. Car was fine again, I could bet that this was it, but today again the same thing. Where should I look? Which wires are essencial with sparks and so on? Could it be connected to some wires next to ignition switch, behind steering wheel? having old high voltage cables is it possible that there is some kind of brakedown and car is loosing spark and can't start again for some time?

I would appreciate any kind of suggestion, I like this car but I'm loosing my patience, I never know wheter I reach my destination or not.
thanks,
maciek
[/b]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts